• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ice cream sandwich

I would say that, yes, it's EXTREMELY likely, but it'll be awhile since even the Droid RAZR is shipping with Gingerbread. Since Motorola overlays their own stuff over it, it'll take them a little while to come out with an ICS version of "non-Blur." My guess? Spring at the earliest.

edit: To be honest, my phone is running so great that updating to ICS scares me, lol.

Upvote 0
The reason I ask is I live in Australia.. I own a galaxy s 2 but absolutely love the droid 3 being an ex milestone 2 user.. I have just sold my galaxy s 2 to my friend and tossing up between the candian xt860 and the American Xt862 but just wondering which one will be likely to receive ice cream sandwich

Upvote 0
Very true redsox.... I have yet to receive it in the mail I am still using my galaxy s 2 the European version with exynos.. I realise the quadrant score isn't as high as the galaxy s 2 but how do you find it in day to day use? Do you encounter any lag or is it pretty snappy most of the time? because one thing I'd say i got used to was how fast the galaxy s 2 was over my dell streak i just hope my new droid 3 on its way is just as fast regardless what quadrant says..?

Upvote 0
Motorola has confirmed their upgrade plans for the latest release of Android –version 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. Amazingly enough, they boast that they’ll be bringing Ice Cream Sandwich to first devices within six weeks of the release of the operating system.

Among the first wave of devices are the Motorola DROID BIONIC the Motorola Droid RAZR and the Motorola XOOM (though Motorola didn’t mention which XOOM devices would get it, we’ll assume Verizon and most WiFi models).

They also said they would announce details on upgrade paths for other devices within that same time frame. If they come through with this promise it’ll be a remarkable turnaround for an OEM who’s usually being scolded at by users waiting months for upgrades. We’ll see what happens when the time comes.

THAT HAS TO BE REALLY PROMISING FOR US YEAH?!

Upvote 0
Motorola has confirmed their upgrade plans for the latest release of Android –version 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. Amazingly enough, they boast that they’ll be bringing Ice Cream Sandwich to first devices within six weeks of the release of the operating system.

Among the first wave of devices are the Motorola DROID BIONIC the Motorola Droid RAZR and the Motorola XOOM (though Motorola didn’t mention which XOOM devices would get it, we’ll assume Verizon and most WiFi models).

They also said they would announce details on upgrade paths for other devices within that same time frame. If they come through with this promise it’ll be a remarkable turnaround for an OEM who’s usually being scolded at by users waiting months for upgrades. We’ll see what happens when the time comes.

THAT HAS TO BE REALLY PROMISING FOR US YEAH?!

If it's coming for the Bionic... Can't we use their ROMs?!?!

Also is there a reason why your apostrophes come up as "’" and not '? Do you use the symbol below tilde and not the one next to Enter? Assuming you're on an English keyboard.

Upvote 0

That means absolutely nothing they are relating to single core phones that shipped in 2010 the cpu and gpu can run ice cream easy plus the droid 3 shipped with the most current version of the os available at the time we in no way fit into any categories stated in that article plus google has acquired motorola and the phone has droid branding we have the best chance out of most.. Don't forget the droid 2 and droid 2 global received gingerbread don't see why we shouldn't get it officially or via cyanogen mod

Upvote 0
That means absolutely nothing they are relating to single core phones that shipped in 2010 the cpu and gpu can run ice cream easy plus the droid 3 shipped with the most current version of the os available at the time we in no way fit into any categories stated in that article plus google has acquired motorola and the phone has droid branding we have the best chance out of most.. Don't forget the droid 2 and droid 2 global received gingerbread don't see why we shouldn't get it officially or via cyanogen mod
Well, I didn't mean to imply the article would affect D3 in terms of ICS, which is why I said "in a related note". Of course the Android phones don't get updated as thoroughly as iOS phones since there is more than 1 manufacturer involved and more parties involved.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Better link (what that cNET story was referring to): the understatement: Android Orphans: Visualizing a Sad History of Support

That chart is awesome.

One major omission on that chart: it may be true that the iPhone 3G was on the current release through its third year, but it was a relatively crippled version of iOS 4, with many features missing.

In all fairness, he tracked mostly budget phones or phones that never really took off. If you look at the popular phones, they are either green or yellow. You can't honestly expect a phone to be running the newest and greatest OS at the end of it's life cycle. I certainly never expected my Droid 1 to get a Gingerbread update. Apple only has 5 models of the iPhone to cater too. Android has HUNDREDS, all made by different manufacturers.

Upvote 0
It has been a few weeks. Any news on ICS for D3? Official word?

ICS source is now out, so mods will probably have it soon...

I have resisted rooting phones over the years, seems like too much potential headache.

Not yet. Motorola announced earlier this month that they would announce future ICS plans for their phones (other than the Bionic and Razr, which we already know will get ICS) within 6 weeks after Google releases ICS (not announced ICS - released it). That happened two days ago, so Motorola should have an announcement by December 27. Probably closer to December 27 than to November 15.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones