• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Icons Gone, Wallpaper Reset, Only 3 Home Screens

extramsg

Lurker
Oct 21, 2011
Phone: Motorola Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon
System: Android 2.3.3
Version: v 4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.US
Kernel: 2.6.32.9-gca08d89bmvq37@zin22lnxdroid28 #1
Build: 4.5.1_57_DR2-31
ERI: 5
PRL: 52522

Turned off my sound using built-in widget, went inside a store, came out 15 minutes later, turned on sound using the slider, then opened the phone using the slider, and my wallpaper had been reset to the original one and all my icons were gone. Not only that, but the launcher was reset. Further, whereas I had 5, I believe, possible home screens before, now I only have 3. And my Motorola contacts widget, which used to be able to give three actions, now can only do two. I restarted. No change. I pulled the battery. No change. I've had icons disappear before, but a restart or even a fast reboot would usually fix things.

Two days ago, I installed an LED flashlight, and I occasionally install apps and have many, but nothing too odd and I wasn't using any. I do have Lookout running.

All my apps appear to still be there and all the data for my apps -- from contacts to text messages to emails to angry birds completed levels -- remain.

To me, it seems like a system file or skin file has been corrupted. But I don't really know. Verizon tech support's brilliant idea was to nuke and pave my phone, doing a reset, thus making me have to reinstall all my apps, probably losing lots of data, text messages, etc. Basically he's saying he has no clue what the problem is, so start over.

So I'm hoping one of you can help me.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones