• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS is coming for the Samsung Galaxy SII Touch 4G!

ewvegas

Lurker
May 30, 2012
I hope this is credible...

I had a chat with a support person online today regarding the ICS update for the Samsung Galaxy SII Touch 4G and she stated that it is being rolled out currently (paraphrasing).

Attachments

• 20120530_SprintChat.png
    20120530_SprintChat.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 302
lol

I think you just got trolled by a bot. :p

Seriously the convo seems to just be a nod to agree with whatever the hell you are talking about.

"OMG IS IT ICE CREAM COCAINE TITS!"

"Yes, Ice Cream Cocaine Tits"

I would've asked for more elaboration.

This whole ICS thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Samsung is so busy working on its stroke and pumping out new units every 8 months they don't seem to mind giving everyone who bought their last unit the bird.
Leaving everyone in the dark about when or what to expect and then dangling a new shiny object over in the next room to get everyone to talk about that instead.

By the end of the year rumors and maybe even leaked pics of the Galaxy S4 will be swirling about. Meanwhile everyone continues to sign a two your contract on a phone that's going to walk the EOL plank in eight months.

****en hilarious.

Upvote 0
Sprint has no idea what they are talking about. I contacted Employee care and they said that yes it has been released and they are rolling out to phones in phases. They told me their was no way to get on short list and told me to contact samsung.

I tried the chat method and she said that it hasnt been released yet and doesnt have a release date to give me.

Reactions: southernyankee
Upvote 0
Trust me, their promises mean nothing. They played this same game with the Hero back in the day, when months and months of promises went by before it finally got 2.1.

I could probably give them a pass for cutting software support costs if they were investing that money in their infrastructure instead, but unless I'm lucky enough to be in one of Atlanta's postage-stamp-sized 4G areas I can't get more than 100kbps. This Galaxy is the best phone I've ever used but it's completely useless on their s**t network.

This will be my last Sprint phone :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Trust me, their promises mean nothing. They played this same game with the Hero back in the day, when months and months of promises went by before it finally got 2.1.

I could probably give them a pass for cutting software support costs if they were investing that money in their infrastructure instead, but unless I'm lucky enough to be in one of Atlanta's postage-stamp-sized 4G areas I can't get more than 100kbps. This Galaxy is the best phone I've ever used but it's completely useless on their s**t network.

This will be my last Sprint phone :rolleyes:

Ditto almost exactly. Its not just Sprint though, I waited for months for 2.1 on very Eris (Verizon's Hero). If I remember right sprint actually got it before Verizon, I may be wrong though, that was a while ago but the beginning of my Android addiction, slow updates and all.

Upvote 0
Never again will I buy a carrier subsidies phone again. The Epic Touch has been out for how many months and they still can't give us the official ICS update? Samsung (and other manufacturers) are slow enough with bringing updates. The carriers just muck up the process even more. When I buy the GS3 I'm buying the unlocked international version.

Upvote 0
Never again will I buy a carrier subsidies phone again. The Epic Touch has been out for how many months and they still can't give us the official ICS update? Samsung (and other manufacturers) are slow enough with bringing updates. The carriers just muck up the process even more. When I buy the GS3 I'm buying the unlocked international version.

How is buying an unlocked/unsubsidized version going to help you get updates any faster? This is expensive and unnecessary because it's easy to unlock the Galaxy series of phones. Sure you could load un-official ROMS but you don't need an international unlocked version to do that, you can just root your phone. And you would still have to wait if you want the next official update (jelly bean?). Also if you want to use Sprint, you will have to buy a CDMA version of the GS3. Most international phones have a sim-card, don't they? That is GSM and these phones will not work on the Sprint network.

Upvote 0

I think that is rather irrelevant, the only phone that even had ICS up until the last month or so was the Nexus I think, Google will make sure it's phone has the tech first and for a good bit. It's only been 6 months since the Nexus came out.

You can forget about them releasing ICS before the launch of the SGSIII, and if you expected timely updates from Samsung you have not done your homework, they are always slow.

I think the excitement will die down quickly once it's out anyways as the touchwhiz version of ICS is VERY lame on the leaked builds. If they include the vanilla, it still leaves something to be desired, but is not quite as bad.

Upvote 0
@nchargreed They're not talking about our Sprint version. They are talking about one of the GSM versions. Sprint will release the update. It's just a matter of when. Even the article you posted states as much at the end.

Well based on the suspected reasoning behind the abort, (Galaxy SIII sales), stands to reason that Sprint may not be far behind. I hope I'm wrong but it just SMELLS!

Upvote 0
I'm one of those girls who doesn't mind having old OS running on certain devices as long as it works. I still have a netbook running Windows XP. Granted it's not my favorite toy, but it still functions.

As sexy as the SG3 looks, I'm content to stay with my SG2 until next year. By then Sprint will have switched to LTE in my area and the upgrade will be wiser.

I did get ICS on my Asus Transformer 1 though. Looks nice and slick. And of course, all Android post Froyo is better than iOS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones