• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Idiot's Guide to Building Apps

Step 1: Learn how.

You can teach yourself, buy a book, go online, or take a classroom class to fulfill #1 above. Depending on your natural aptitudes and skills, the rate at which you can learn will determine when (or if) you move on to Step 2.

Learning computer programming isn't a trivial undertaking, so you might want to ask yourself first what you hope to accomplish. If your hopes don't include writing more application programs (apps), you might be better off commissioning an already skilled programmer to develop the app for you.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

Thanks for your response. I am 57 years old and will soon need to find something to do in my spare time. There are so many sites on the Web to learn App building. I would not know where to start. Each site has its way of learning and say that their's is the best. Have you heard of any sites that, with your knowledge, would suit me?

I am not taking it lightly: Maybe I was being a bit lighthearted, but I am serious. You know, one never knows where life will take you.

Thanks

Dagga

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

Thanks for your response. I am 57 years old and will soon need to find something to do in my spare time...
If this is a retirement hobby, you might want to look into going to a local community college to take classes in this. It's a great way to meet new people, and get one-on-one help. If you're above a certain age, you can get discount prices...sometimes even free.

I've been a self-study kind of guy most of my life. I'm not much younger than you, and as I age I find the ability to interact with others to be an important consideration. Coding is a solitary undertaking, so learning to do it with others not only makes learning easier, it also keeps the coder from having cabin fever.

Upvote 0
Like Speed Daemon says, the interaction with othersi is very important. I'm 59, and a mature student studying for a Computer Security & Forensics degree. I graduate this year. A college/Uni course is all but essential if you have no prior experience in Software development Byut anyway, just go for it. remember, the more you do, the more you CAN do!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones