• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

headstun

Lurker
Sep 25, 2011
I am new to the android OS.

I just discovered this the other day. If you press the home button while in your home screen or application screen it brings you to an "idle screen" where it shows two buttons at the top right corner. A close button and another button that can toggle phone or sound? You also have a clock and accu weather display.

Along the bottom are shortcuts to some applications such as music, email, etc...

Once the phone goes to standby by you see the clock in green text.

My question is what is the purpose of this screen? and is there any way to disable it?

Attached is the screen i am referring to in the post above.

Attachments

• SC20110925-160704.jpeg
    SC20110925-160704.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
The normal display for press and hold of home button is a small window showing the last 6 recently applications used applications. Along with a button to launch the Task Manager.

It is possible the other apps, or widget have reassigned this button event. The desktop clock you mentioned is not a standard one? If it is a loaded app or widget and you know the name of it, it may be possible to reset it. In every app, if you go to Settings, apps, manageme applications, then 'All' tab. Find the app that is the 'Desktop Clock' or whatever one, tap it, then you see a whole bunch of buttons to stop it, move it to SD card etc.

In the section "launch by default" the button will be highlighted IF it has taken over or assigned a default. If you clear it you will get a pop up selection instead of going straight to that one. Utilities programs like file managers, widgets etc often do this. If one time you hit the "set as default" the choice will disappear. eg. ES File Manager provides it's own viewer instead of gallery. If you assign defaults by mistake the choice disappear. Above is the process to reset them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones