• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help If I purchase the HTC Sensation, will I be able to store apps straight to the SD card??

Hi there everyone, I comletely new to this site so I ask for your kind patience with me as I am guessing that this question has been asked before...

But basically I have just pre-ordered the Sensation which will be my first ever Android phone and I am slightly concerned about the 1gb of internal memory as I have heard that it is hard to save apps directly to the SD card?

Could someone please be so kind as to advice me if this is only on the earlier versions of android, and also how I would do this?

Thanks so much :)

You don't need to worry. I got over a hundred apps in my Droid Incredible and used up only less than half of 1GB of the internal phone memory. You see, most Android apps are small, ranging on average, from less than 1mb to 2-3mb.

First you need to know a few things.

1. Games. Big games. These install directly to the SD card as soon as you download them from the Market. For example, there is a PSP game called Spectral Souls that is ported to Android. It leaves something like 1.5mb in the internal phone memory, and over 1GB in the SD card.

2. Many apps --- almost half of apps I encounter now --- are signed to be movable to the micro SD. They will install on the internal phone memory first, but if you go into the phone settings, under Managing Apps, then click on the app, there is a button that says Move to SD. If the app allows it, it can be pressed. If the button is greyed out, it cannot be transferred.

There are apps in the Android Market, like Apps 2 SD, Apps To SD, or Move to SD, that will scan your apps and notify you which can be moved to the SD card.

3. Although some apps insist on staying on internal phone memory, they put their caches on their micro SD. That gives them a small memory footprint.

Reactions: mrqs
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones