• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

if not files by USB then how?

Njem

Lurker
Dec 15, 2018
My old moto/android 4 phone, I plugged into my PC via usb and it showed as a disk or device and I could move files normally. My new moto x4 and android 9 I find that was turned off. Didn't even offer "you've plugged in, did you want to enable xfer?" Nope. Dead silence on both ends. I had to dig deep to find where to turn it on. It warned about "only connect to trusted devices" like maybe the reason to have the default off was safety. I'm guessing this means most people don't transfer files by usb anymore (even those of us using PCs). Probably some other method has become more typical. Like emailing them to yourself or friends (ridiculous). Or texting them or an NFC exchange (well, not to my pc). So what is the more common method? Or is this just a nonsensical way to set defaults?

That would be crazy too. Someone would have to have my phone and be able to open it (it won't show up until it's unlocked). If they have it they could just as well do NFC or pull the card out. All it seems to accomplish is people will think it just won't. I thought I had a bad cable and waited a couple days to try another. Only found it by digging into how to get to options only developers see. Seems just plain nuts.

Upvote 0
That would be crazy too. Someone would have to have my phone and be able to open it (it won't show up until it's unlocked). If they have it they could just as well do NFC or pull the card out. All it seems to accomplish is people will think it just won't. I thought I had a bad cable and waited a couple days to try another. Only found it by digging into how to get to options only developers see. Seems just plain nuts.

True but I'd guess you've got to assume that a lot of people haven't set up a password. Thank the yanks for suing when their McDonald's apple pie burnt their mouth :D

Upvote 0
My old moto/android 4 phone, I plugged into my PC via usb and it showed as a disk or device and I could move files normally. My new moto x4 and android 9 I find that was turned off. Didn't even offer "you've plugged in, did you want to enable xfer?" Nope. Dead silence on both ends. I had to dig deep to find where to turn it on. It warned about "only connect to trusted devices" like maybe the reason to have the default off was safety. I'm guessing this means most people don't transfer files by usb anymore (even those of us using PCs). Probably some other method has become more typical. Like emailing them to yourself or friends (ridiculous). Or texting them or an NFC exchange (well, not to my pc). So what is the more common method? Or is this just a nonsensical way to set defaults?
THEN use XENDER apk to transfer via connect to pc bro

Upvote 0
True but I'd guess you've got to assume that a lot of people haven't set up a password. Thank the yanks for suing when their McDonald's apple pie burnt their mouth :D
Was that in addition to the moron...er, I mean woman, who put her cup of scorching hot coffee between her legs, drove off, got burned when it spilled on her, and then sued McDonald's?

Fascinating.

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0
My old moto/android 4 phone, I plugged into my PC via usb and it showed as a disk or device and I could move files normally. My new moto x4 and android 9 I find that was turned off...
You might want to dump the cables and try using an app I find very handy, AirDroid. (It actually has a bunch of great features aside from file transfers; read its "Read More" to see them all.)

You install the app on your Android device, then connect to it via web browser on any operating system (Linux in my case). It's easy to setup, works like a charm, and needs no cables!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones