• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

if the Droid Charge gets gingerbread before the htc thunderbolt... goodbye thunderbolt

I'll be the first to admit to being a technology buff but I've never rooted my phone to anything. We all probably spent about the same amount of money to get our phones, am I right? I think we should be able to get our updates in a timely fashion without having to do things like root the phone. Yeah, I'm a ninny who is too scared to mess with things because I'm afraid I'll fubar my TB (which are unfortunate initials) if I try to root.

Reactions: WA_Bob and matt0715
Upvote 0
Uum all it is is a leak dude relax. What are you going to do if you get a charge and then something else comes out and you get no more updates? I mean a leak means nothing all it means is those who root will have it faster. Most likely verizon will wait awhile to release it since there are still some bugs with what was leaked.

Im not gonna get the charge. I'm gonna most likely get $350 for my tbolt then buy the next nexus phone so I get the updates first . Its just getting ridiculous

Upvote 0
I've owned the thunderbolt now for 3 days...battery life sucks but it sucked on my Incredible too and wasn't that great on my Moto Droid either, so that being said.. I love this phone but I am having a couple issues that I haven't begun to try and solve and hopefully they can be remedied.. call waiting isn't working? When I'm on the phone people are getting my voice mail (I use youmail) also when dialing, the phone will not activate the smart dial feature, at 1st attempt..I enter the 1st few numbers or letters of the person I'm trying to call and instead of the contact popping up (nothing happens) I have to backspace and delete and make a 2nd attempt and then it works..(strange) anyways love this phone!! Droid Charge is also nice but I hate physical buttons, I prefer the Thunderbolts capacitive buttons ...also Froyo is fine for me, however the phone has rebooted once on me already.. :-/

Upvote 0
I didn't even realize THUNDERBOLT. CHARGE. lol two electric phones. Why didn't verizon brand the TB as a DROID and launch these side by side in some sort of lightning fast 4G campaign. The Bolt and the Charge. Sounds perfect.

Droid Incredible was lovingly renamed DInc by the fans. Verizon didn't want their then flagship device renamed from Droid Thunderbolt to Dolt!!

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0
No computer? Sorry to hear that. It takes about an hour for a newbie to root, after that you can do all the other stuff (like loading new roms) straight from the phone. Definitely need a computer for the initial root though.

I'm not a rooting expert but I have rooted before too. But every time I root I get very anxious. This time it took me about seven hours from the time I started downloading stuff till I finished flashing the ROM and the radio, LOL! But I had to redo some of the steps as I had forgotten to rename the radio file initially....

Upvote 0
i love how people bash the OP for his opinions. while both devices are great, and will be even better with GB, they are different devices.

the TB has a HUGE developer front. with countless types of ROM's available.
the Charge has like one or 2 ROMs and thats it. not much else. its a solid phone with pretty good battery life for a LTE phone, amazing screen, and great camera. the only thing not to love here is the developer following. so if the OP isn't into rooting and romming, the charge on GB>the TB on froyo IMO. especially with all the TB issues.

Upvote 0
If you think the updates are going to be better with Samsung, head over the the Samsung Fascinate forum. My wife has a Fascinate and we were waiting forever for the last update.
you can't base an entire phone company off of one phone.
the original galaxy S line has had its issues for one reason or another. it could be completely samsungs fault, but i seriously doubt that.
seems to me they are getting their act together and skipping Froyo and attempting to jump straight to GB. not a bad deal if you ask me.

plus the charge is a "Droid" branded flagship phone for Verizon. if you think they are just going to let it die, you are crazy. not sure what can be done after GB for these single core phones as ICS is made for duel core. but the charge will at least get GB.

Upvote 0
you can't base an entire phone company off of one phone.
the original galaxy S line has had its issues for one reason or another. it could be completely samsungs fault, but i seriously doubt that.
seems to me they are getting their act together and skipping Froyo and attempting to jump straight to GB. not a bad deal if you ask me.

plus the charge is a "Droid" branded flagship phone for Verizon. if you think they are just going to let it die, you are crazy. not sure what can be done after GB for these single core phones as ICS is made for duel core. but the charge will at least get GB.

Bolt is getting GB too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones