• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Im ready to root this thing....but still have a few questions!!

bamaboy74

Lurker
Dec 22, 2010
I am rooted. I have bootstrapper and titanium ready to go. All ive done so far is root using Z4root. SO....do i need to hook up to laptop to get roms?? i had a friend email me the link for Z4root and installed through it. I have yet to go into bootstrapper to backup or titanium. Im still a little confused on where to get roms and put to phone. It seems like there is alot of different ways people do things. And im a little bit nervous about screwing my brand new phine up. Just a little!!

Upvote 0
you can download ROMs on your computer, and move them over to your SD card (i usually make a folder specifically for my roms and themes) via the mass storage mode.

or you can download straight from your phone....the ROM will go into your downloads folder (changes for some browsers)

then open up bootstrap recovery, tap bootstrap recovery, grant SU permission, OK, reboot recovery.
it will boot into clockwork mod, go down to backup and restore, select backup, yes, and let it work its magic...takes about 10 minutes or so to make a backup.

reboot phone. do the whole bootstrap recovery thing, get into clockwork, wipe data and cache,choose install .zip from SD card.
navigate to the location of your ROM and select it
choose yes
your ROM will install
reboot phone
sign in, go to market, DL TI backup, go into there and do the batch restore.
or you can sign in, and let the market download the apps for you, but TI backup is much faster. then you just have to restore the app data from TI backup.

Upvote 0
When i go into bootstrapper and do the back up. Will it automatically reboot into stock until i flash a ROM? Or do i need to wait until i get a Rom that i like and want?

After the backup, your phone will reboot normally into the stock rom.

You need to go into bootstrapper every time you want to boot into CWM recovery, or do a backup, or it will just reboot the phone as normal.

Upvote 0
if you want it quicker, download from pc at home, then move it to sd card of phone in mass storage mode
if you want to wait and eat up your data and become one of the high data users then download using your phone

While that may be true most of the time, if you have WI-FI at home, d/l to your device with that, took me about 3 minutes to d/l Darkslide 4.2 to my X.
Using the WI-FI will not eat up your minutes, and will be less probable to become corrupted when transferring to the device from a PC or Mac.
These are MY opinions, YMMV.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones