• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I'm Rooted - Now I have some questions

Tumeg

Android Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2010
I just rooted my phone (second time), and would like to get some confidence on my decision ;p

My main question is about this OTA that I read a bit about. From what I understand, my phone will update firmware automatically - is this correct?
If it updates automatically, do I run the risk of bricking my phone (if it is rooted when it updates)?
Is there a way to avoid any of this?

Right now I am not running any ROMs\themes, but I am doing some research\tests before I start to run some of them permanently.

What are some precautions I need to [or at least should] take?

Ok so you need to Flash the SBF before you can upgrade to the OTA. really no added benefits in doing so though only the upgraded radio. If you don't want your phone to do the update automatically you can remove some bloatware and it shouldn't update. The only way you can go to the OTA is from stock 2.1. Or you can get the "OTA" without bootloader from ROM manager. It would be the same as what you're running now. You can be rooted on 2.1 and upgrade to the OTA that's fine. It will probably unroot you though but you can simply re-root when with the super-one-click app.
You can get the SBF from the rootzwiki I believe

Reactions: Tumeg
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones