• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i'm seeing quite a few complaints...

I spent a year and a half coddling my Storm by obsessively killing unused programs that would slow down the OS.

And now I have to coddle my Incredible by obsessively killing the radios and screen brightness in order to get passable battery life? Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.

I agree 100%. It's stupid.

People telling you that you need to turn off everything on the phone that makes it a smart phone just so you can get through the day with it? WHAT?! You, like myself, got this phone because you wanted a powerful smartphone with lots of features and tools and you wanted to be able to use it throughout the day and maybe even take advantage of some of these things. Nope, we have to turn it all off, otherwise we won't make it through work.

I am old school. I "train" my batteries. I do it in MP3 players, cameras, laptops, phones... anything that I'm not dumping double-As in, basically. I go for about a week and I play with it A LOT. I take it from full charge to dead as much as possible and as many times as possible. While they say that conditioning a battery in such a way isn't required anymore, I do it because I've been doing it for more than a decade and it hasn't hurt a device, so far.

I got this phone to USE it. And I'm going to. If the batter sucks... I'll get a bigger, better one. If it still sucks... I'll deal with it and go with a phone that has good reviews and is proven, next time (TP2 sure is a nice phone). This is my phone for at least 10 months and I'm going to make the most of it. I'd love for it to last longer, but I'm an OMAP fan myself. =P

I have a Ferrari, and its alot faster then my old 2000 Toyota Corolla. But when I drive it fast, it uses up so much gas. Ferrari made a mistake by selling such an inefficient car in terms of MPG.

QFT.

Upvote 0
People, learn to disagree without putting down the other person please.

Just because you don't acknowledge the same issues that another user has doesn't mean that these issues don't exist. Everyone's usage pattern varies, so how about offering some help instead of insults or smart-alec remarks? If you can't do that, then don't bother posting and wasting everyone else's time.

Reactions: JMKosmo
Upvote 0
Berner.. please go back to your EVO forums and leave the Inc alone. you're a sprint fanboy, so i don't see why you're even bothing with the INC. if you think the inc's battery is bad. wait till you get your 3.5G evo with it's 4.3" screeen and a.. wait for it... wait for it... 1500mAh battery... bigger screen, more pixels to display, slightly bigger battery. not much.. guess what eats the battery more than anything else on your phone? the display. so please. go whine somewhere else.

I have no issues with the battery on this phone then again i'm use to a dumb windows mobile phone (considered a touch screen smart phone but the screen was so small it was a pain in the but to use.. so i tried NOT to use it) and i had to charge the battery every night. my incredible i use the crap out of, stream music, etc.. and still have a charge at the end of the day. My question to all you people complaining about battery life? do you live in a cave? work in a cave? you're surrounded by electricity 24/7... plug the stupid thing in. I bet most of you sit sit in a cubicle all day while typing away at a keyboard.. how hard is it to plug your phone in? heck i work in a shop all day.. my phone sits on my toolbox streaming music through computer speakers. no i don't charge it. i don't have to. but if it comes down to it and i need to start charging it i can/will. its not difficult to do people. we live in a world full of electricity... USEEEE ITTTTT. batteries are for mobility if you're sitting down at a desk 8-10 hours a day, why not charge it, you're obviously not being.... mobile.

Upvote 0
Berner, I like my solution better than turning off the wireless network/data always on at least.. I don't have to turn anything off (other than wifi a

Thanks for your suggestion, but it sounds a bit like battery voodoo to me. Most people say that you should never let these batteries go to zero charge, but here you are recommending that I do it multiple times. Perhaps you can understand why I would be reluctant to risk making the situation even worse.

It won't actually go to "zero" it will power down before it hits the absolute bottom.

Long story short you may have a problem or an app or something draining. Because you're right, you shouldn't be draining at 1% per minute or anywhere close to that.

While I'm not thrilled with the battery, I am a very heavy user and I have been consistently getting 10+ hours in between charges and that's with GPS enabled.

I'm an eCommerce Director so I'm handling close to 200 or more emails a day on my phone. Dozens of texts, web and RSS browsing, I only ever use this forum on it too with Tapatalk, and a little bit of remote desktop control thrown in at various times. Something tells me if you had my type of usage and were still getting 10 hours of battery life you wouldn't be too upset.

I hope you are able to get your battery problem sorted out. I have ordered an OEM HTC Touch Pro2 battery that has 1500 mAh to hopefully squeeze out the couple extra hours I need.

Upvote 0
Anyone here used to have an Omnia? Any of those people remember when the 1% battery driver was released for the i910?

Battery life sucked when constantly monitored, and the % would drop and fluctuate all the time!

I have stopped using the battery widget (can just make a shortcut to the battery settings to see its levels). My test last night proved to me that this thing's battery is perfectly fine, and should make it through a full day of normal use like a champ.

Give it a week and see where you stand, too...

Upvote 0
The HD2 uses the same battery and gets pretty good battery life so I'm not to worried about the Evo. Maybe when pumping out video over HDMI or using the FFC it will use a good amount. I played with one last week at a wireless data convention and Sprint was there showing it off on 4G, I was able to mess with it for about 20 minutes and didn't see any extreme battery usage but that wasn't nearly enough time to really dive into it.

Upvote 0
Allow me to attempt to make a case that HTC has made a mistake here.....
I'm just gonna be handcuffed to my car charger at lunch and my wall charger while sitting on the couch in the evening.
I did something quite simple, I bought another battery and got 20% off in the Verizon store. Most often I am near a computer or charger, (get a car charger if you don't have one already) but when I'm not I just put the extra battery in my pocket and I have no worries. Nor am I then handcuffed anywhere. But give it some time, you'll learn how to extend battery life when you need it and play with the phone when you are near power. Basically, just enjoy one of the best smartphones on the market at this time as best you can.

Upvote 0
I'd rather use this phone for a few hours per charge than my Storm for a few days per charge. :) Honestly, coming from that POS, this phone is a dream and if I had to, I'd rather turn some things off when not needed, or even carry an extra battery. And I do believe that it will improve anyway so I'm finding much more to dig about this phone than complain about.

Upvote 0
I did something quite simple, I bought another battery and got 20% off in the Verizon store. Most often I am near a computer or charger, (get a car charger if you don't have one already) but when I'm not I just put the extra battery in my pocket and I have no worries. Nor am I then handcuffed anywhere. But give it some time, you'll learn how to extend battery life when you need it and play with the phone when you are near power. Basically, just enjoy one of the best smartphones on the market at this time as best you can.

You beat me to it as I was posting. Even with my Storm I did the same as you and I also had a desktop charger at home and work. The ONLY thing I'm worried about is that the Incredible's back cover is not as easy to remove, nor does it seems as tho it can handle the wear and tear of taking it on and off everyday. The Storms back was made to do this because constant battery pulls were part of it's design LOL!

Upvote 0
With regards to battery life, after the first day, I was pretty worried. With only moderate use the phone turned off after being unplugged for ~12 hours. However, on the second day, with roughly the same level of use (if not more), it was still at 60% after ~14 hours. I tried to kill the battery before going to bed because like everyone else, I read about the conditioning stuff. However, even with very heavy use with multiple apps running, I could only get the battery down to 45% before giving up and going to bed. Total unplugged time was ~17 hours for the day.

Upvote 0
I agree AJF, I'm sure in 3-6 months of changing batteries 3X a week, those snaps would start to snap off. Usually when you do a replacement phone, they don't send the backs, so I wonder if that will end up being an issue.
I agree with both of you. But I've had my Eris for 6 months now and it's basically the same back and snaps. I pulled my battery sometimes multiple times / day and it still snaps shut. Perhaps we are a little "gun shy" about it because it costs so much to replace? We should probably give it a workout in the 30 day time frame and maybe buy insurance for a few months. In the meantime I'll keep popping this baby off and on. I mean wtf at this point?

Upvote 0
I have a Ferrari, and its alot faster then my old 2000 Toyota Corolla. But when I drive it fast, it uses up so much gas. Ferrari made a mistake by selling such an inefficient car in terms of MPG.

And my theory is, if Ferrari knows it gets 8MPG, they should put a gas tank in it that is big enough to get from one gas station to the next.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones