• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Image Transfer Impossible

syrhani

Lurker
Aug 3, 2012
I am trying to transfer photos to my PC from my Samsung Galaxy S2. Pc is running Windows 7 Professional, Galaxy is running Android Version 4.0.3.

When I connect the phone it comes up with the symbol in the notification bar that says it is connected, there are two options in this setting "PTP & MTP" Automatically it connects in MTP. In this setting I can mount the phone as an external device, open the phone, find the photos folder and see that they are there but I cannot view thumbnails, open the images or copy/cut/move them onto my PC. When I change it to connect in PTP mode the computer cannot install the drivers and it tells me to contact the manufacturer. I cannot access anything that is saved on the phone from my PC in this mode.

I installed Samsung Kies to try and bypass this issue. Again, the photos are in there but I cannot prview the pictures or even view a thumbnail. I can select them and click save photos to PC, pick the folder destination I want them saved to but when I click save nothing happens. It doesn't say there is an error but it wont save the photos either.

This is the second Samsung Galaxy S2 I have had this issue with and I cannot seem to find a way around!!! Please help!!!

Also, I cannot go into the photos individually and email them to msyelf as there is no email option in either the "Share Via" or "Send" option lists.

I am trying to transfer photos to my PC from my Samsung Galaxy S2. Pc is running Windows 7 Professional, Galaxy is running Android Version 4.0.3.

When I connect the phone it comes up with the symbol in the notification bar that says it is connected, there are two options in this setting "PTP & MTP" Automatically it connects in MTP. In this setting I can mount the phone as an external device, open the phone, find the photos folder and see that they are there but I cannot view thumbnails, open the images or copy/cut/move them onto my PC. When I change it to connect in PTP mode the computer cannot install the drivers and it tells me to contact the manufacturer. I cannot access anything that is saved on the phone from my PC in this mode.

I installed Samsung Kies to try and bypass this issue. Again, the photos are in there but I cannot prview the pictures or even view a thumbnail. I can select them and click save photos to PC, pick the folder destination I want them saved to but when I click save nothing happens. It doesn't say there is an error but it wont save the photos either.

This is the second Samsung Galaxy S2 I have had this issue with and I cannot seem to find a way around!!! Please help!!!

Also, I cannot go into the photos individually and email them to msyelf as there is no email option in either the "Share Via" or "Send" option lists.

I can't view thumbnails in MTP connection either. I think that's the way it is. But I definitely can copy and paste just fine. So not sure why yours can't.

Another connection you can try is mass storage mode. Its in settings/More/USB Utilities. Tap connect then join the USB cable. Then tap another screen icon.

Upvote 0
You will get thumbnails when in mass storage mode.

Mass storage is quicker if you intend doing a large amount of data copying, but I find MTP more convenient.

If you are rooted, you can tweak your device into which mode you want to connect with by default (MTP/Mass Storage) either by the use of startup scripts, or if you us Siyah kernel the mode can be selected in its ExTweaks app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones