• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nymetzfan05

Jun 23, 2013
So I purchased a liquid screen protector with insurance for my S10+. I have to register to be able to use the insurance if needed. One of the items they ask for is IMEI. They need to be able to identify the phone for a claim. Seems to be a bit excessive to me. They also ask for my model and carrier which I think should be sufficient. IMO. I've read some posts about IMEI with differing thoughts on whether someone can do anything nefarious with someone's IMEI. Just curious if folks have run into anything similar. Thanks.

It is common for insurance to request IMEI information when registering the device to be insured. Otherwise you could go buy a random trashed S10+ and submit it for a claim while the phone you paid to insure is in perfect shape. Just like your car insurance requires the VIN, phone insurance requires S/N & IMEI.

Yes, people can do nefarious things if they have your imei, but it is above my understanding. I just know that it shouldn't be posted publicly, but submitting it with insurance registration information would be fine.

Upvote 0
Not to dissuade you to get it insured or not but I don't know if being so protective of your IMEI is worth the effort. Everywhere you go the local cell towers are detecting and registering it as you travel and some apps that need to be 'locked' to your phone for whatever service they provide do the same. It's also what carriers rely upon when a phone gets stolen and gets put on a common blacklist. (One of the rare instances where carriers are actually working in unison.) So while you don't want to just let anyone and everyone know what it is, passing it along to an insurance company is a low risk matter.
It really is just an identifier for your particular phone that gets used frequently, a plus being as long as you have physical possession of that phone it's really hard for others to do much at all with the IMEI since it's also a matter where your phone is documented as your property in your carriers account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones