• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Important post by P3droid (For GB users especially)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is sad that it has come to this. I think the best thing about Android is the development community. While apps will still be developed I think ROM are what makes the phones great. The thing of it is if owners were responsible for what they did and the carriers were not feeling like they were getting ripped off I don't think there would be a problem.

The thing is there are people who have rooted that have had really issues with their phones that had nothing to do with rooting. However I have seen and read countless others where because the phone was rooted they had to get a replacement phone. There is a huge price difference between a refurbished phone and a new phone and that is money that Verizon and other carriers are losing because the users rooting their phone and then sending them back as an issue when they mess them up. Solution, allow phones to be rooted, but as soon as they are it is recorded and you can not get a replacement for any reason.

Tethering, I will admit I have tethered my phone because the internet at my house has gone out, or I wanted to view something at work that was blocked, however I have never gone over 5GB in a month. I have heard of people who try and hook up Xbox or use their phone for the home internet. I think there are a few that ruin it for the many one this. I can understand as well why the carriers may be unhappy because they do offer a service for this, you just have to pay for it. The unlimited data is for unlimited data on the phone. However I think there should be an overall unlimited package where you can tether with it as well. Also I think you should be able to by a 2GB and a 5GB plan that includes phone use and tethering use.

If Verizon could put out a phone as well as what the developers can, then I would have no problem, but they haven't. I do have to admit the new Gingerbread is really nice and one of the best I have seen. I think this sucks for the people who want to root their device to be able to change the colors and themes.

I am not jumping back to .340, I enjoy my stock leaked Gingerbread way too much.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Something like this wouldn't come from google. If I'm not mistaken google has stood in favor of rooting devices.

Yeah my last statement about not sourcing from google means i dont think this came from google.

With that. Verizon better push an ota for gingerbread soon. I could deal with that. Not stock froyo though. This is just devastating though. Void my warranty all you want but dont target me and not let me use my services. Nothing in my contract said if I rooted my phone Verizon would throttle me or deny service or whatever P3 is talking about.

And im on P3's side on this one. With everyone tethering and using BS stories for a warranty exchange when they knew what they were getting into when they rooted.

And to all who say tethering is ok: Its not. You pay for unlimited data for YOUR device. So if you argue that you can extend that unlimited service to other peripheral devices then that's the same as saying well then I pay for unlimited data for my phone so my wife should have unlimited data usage on her phone because you promised unlimited data. If you are a heavy tethering user pay the extra bucks a month and get a tethering plan.

Upvote 0
This sucks. I've always wondered if the carriers could somehow "find out" who had apps requiring root access on their devices.

If the carrier, namely Verizon, wants to restrict data access via throttling, etc to rooted devices, then they at least should release timely os updates for their devices. I don't tether, and I don't steal services, but I do like to load leaked roms that give me an upgrade to what is "officially" available from the carrier. I also like to have the security of being able to make a complete backup of what's on my own device, if I should choose to do so. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Because if you did none of this discussion on tethering would be happening...there would be no block on tethering with this new GB and 3G hotspot wouldn't prompt you to pay...

Did you read the entire post? I'm not being flippant here, just asking the question.

I'm paying for UNLIMITED data. How I use it should not be up to VZW. We keep on ceding these things to the carriers. This is a slippery slope they're sliding down and people (as usual) won't complain till they take something that affects them.
Obviously, we will disagree on tethering so I'm not going to belabor the point. Let's see what the "Third Shoe" will bring tomorrow.

Upvote 0
To those in the "I pay for unlimited data and it's none of their business how I use it" bus...you pay for unlimited data on your phone...not your laptop/other device.

Now, with that said, I am a rooted user that does not use tethering and I see the bigger problem being those that monkey with their phone and are not willing to accept the consequences that come with hacking.

I have done my share of monkeying with my phone knowing full well that something could go wrong and I would be responsible for that, not Verizon or Moto/HTC.

Sure, it does come down to money as PACAnesFan was talking about. They're losing a lot of money to folks not reading directions and "bricking" their phones. A lot of these phones are fixable but folks panic and react with the knee jerk action that costs them the least amount of time/money. If they would take the time to read in the first place or after the fact they could fix these phones and we MIGHT not be where we're at today.

Just my $0.02...take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: ultradroid
Upvote 0
Did you read the entire post? I'm not being flippant here, just asking the question.

I'm paying for UNLIMITED data. How I use it should not be up to VZW. We keep on ceding these things to the carriers. This is a slippery slope they're sliding down and people (as usual) won't complain till they take something that affects them.
Obviously, we will disagree on tethering so I'm not going to belabor the point. Let's see what the "Third Shoe" will bring tomorrow.

Unlimited data on your device. This shouldn't be a surprise. Like other posts I think this is a case of the small percentage of people that abuse this ruining it for the others. I'm very interested in what other info p3 has.

Upvote 0
This is not only about tethering. It's about rooting. It's about restricting you from running the newly Leaked GB rom, or Rubix, or Fission; those are all non-approved software. Tethering is just one facet of this issue folks.

Edit: I've used tethering less than 5 times. 4 of those times were to provide data to other VZW phones. I don't even think I've used 5MB of data on it. However, I don't condemn people that do it (i'm not in the position to judge them).
I am frustrated that this has become an argument on tethering when it's only part of the issue.

Upvote 0
If you read in to the whole article, as a user, you certainly are entitled to certain things. You are not entitled to everything and IMHO the thing that sticks out to me are exactly what was talked about regarding users participating in fraud. As a company, and NOT specific to Moto OR VZW, there are expenses generated from providing "undue" services. Those are the customer service, shipping, repair, refurbishing, QA, etc, etc costs associated with less than honorable people who mess up their phone as they feel they are entitled to do whatever they want and go about getting their "entitlement" at the cost of the company. They "break" the phone by doing things "at their own risk" and expect to be bailed out for their idiocy. Anyone that feels that "doing whatever they want" to their phone (which I agree you should have the right to do AS LONG as you are willing to find your own solution) and then expects the company to pay for their mistake is sadly mistaken about their "entitlement".

We have incredibly smart people on these forums who provide detailed information, great ROM's, themes, advice, etc. We have great users who use these forums to take advantage of the open source and help each other out. However, we also have morons who feel the need to dabble with no regard for the consequences, the patience to properly work through to a solution or who have no technical experience at all, doing things grossly beyond their realm of logic or understanding.

I don't discount revenue stream. It's the business they're in. To make money. Nothing new and never will be. I don't agree with all of it because I'm a consumer who wants the biggest bang for my buck, GREAT customer service and a product that is the best on the market (at that time -which seems to get shorter and shorter). Consumers will also be their own worst enemy because of the trends that take place as I wrote above.

I am in no way shape or form a goody, goody; but I can't say without hesitation that I have boot looped my phone, had it not start, jacked the UI, etc, etc. But doing so, I accepted my fate and was as prepared as could be before I jumped in blind (created back ups, had SBF's ready, software to use, etc). I also used these forums like I was studying for my final exam. While it might have taken me longer than I would have liked to find my resolution, I did so knowing that I made my own bed and had to sleep in it.

Ok, I'm done. I should have apologized at the beginning instead of the end, but I'm tired of the few (or many) that ruin it for the rest. While it's not the singular cause, it didn't help.

Of course, this is just my own opinion and developers, moderators, forum legends who make the user experience a real user experience, I again, thank you for the memories and any new ones you are still able to create. :)

Peace, love and giddyup.

Reactions: cabraswell
Upvote 0
I agree with you on that one because it makes VZW and others lose money, that's unacceptable to them.

I knew tethering was disabled in the GB release but continued to use it regardless. In fact, it became my default/permanent rom. Trust me when I say that tethering is a non-issue for me.
However, the fact that we are glossing over the (possible) massive implications this kind of stance could have in the future is a little disturbing. What will people say when they find that they can no long run Apex.

Upvote 0
I knew tethering was disabled in the GB release but continued to use it regardless. In fact, it became my default/permanent rom. Trust me when I say that tethering is a non-issue for me.
However, the fact that we are glossing over the (possible) massive implications this kind of stance could have in the future is a little disturbing. What will people say when they find that they can no long run Apex.

Yeah I cringed when I read that rooting could trigger a flag on the carrier's end. Such a bummer to think about...

Upvote 0
OK. Some of you guys must work for VZW for sure :p.

Seriously, if VZW was knew i rooted and refused my request for an exchange or whatever, I'd have no problem. The day I rooted my DX, I made a promise to myself to never send it in unless I experienced a hardware fault.
However, disabling or fooling with my service because I'm rooted is unacceptable to me (if that's what VZW and Moto intend to do).

Edit:

Aaaaand Drod decides to release Blurry GB at this precise moment. The bastard! Frack.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones