• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories In Ear Headphones / Earbuds

mched

Mar 31, 2010
Valencia. CA
I am looking for a good pair of headphones / earbuds for working out, more specifically for using on the treadmill. I have a pair of Shure SE210 that I love but when I walk or run with them I can hear the cable bouncing off of me. It's really annoying. When doing weights it's not a problem.
I have looked at all the different threads on headphones and earbuds but none address this type of issue.
I thought about getting wireless but where I work out, the treadmills all have TV's that you can listen to but you need wired headphones.
Does anyone have any good suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Here's my experience with headphones. None I have used are perfect when it comes to working out, specially running. They all have their quirks and I just end up getting used to them.

In your situation, I would just use the Shure ones and clip the wires to your shirt.

If you end up buying headphones with a mic, I would warn you not to use them for running or work outs that you sweat a lot. I have already gone through 3 different headsets because the moisture from my sweat damaged the mic part.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: mched
Upvote 0
Mched, look around Head-Fi for some suggestions. I'm not entirely sure what you're describing [in terms of what you're hearing] but there are more than likely two options: 1) you are in search of an IEM that does not have microphonics or 2) you're actually in search of headphones/earbuds/etc. that don't seal and force you to hear every single movement (like walking for instance).

Anyways, you should state some sort of budget as you can get headphones anywhere from $10 (to be honest there are actually some decent ones for around $15-20 if you know what to look for) to easily over $1K. Give some sort of range - if you desire to a mic or not - and any other preferences so we can kind of narrow down the options.

Upvote 0
Mched, look around Head-Fi for some suggestions. I'm not entirely sure what you're describing [in terms of what you're hearing] but there are more than likely two options: 1) you are in search of an IEM that does not have microphonics or 2) you're actually in search of headphones/earbuds/etc. that don't seal and force you to hear every single movement (like walking for instance).

Anyways, you should state some sort of budget as you can get headphones anywhere from $10 (to be honest there are actually some decent ones for around $15-20 if you know what to look for) to easily over $1K. Give some sort of range - if you desire to a mic or not - and any other preferences so we can kind of narrow down the options.

When I use the Shures, I hear the cable pounding against me. Maybe it's because they are sound isolating?
As far as them having a mic, that does not really matter.
Budget wise, I would prefer to not go over $50. I just want something that will give better than average sound quality and that can cut out some of the noise in the gym, especially the people talking on there cell phones while on the treadmill. I don't want to hear there conversations.

Upvote 0
When I use the Shures, I hear the cable pounding against me. Maybe it's because they are sound isolating?
As far as them having a mic, that does not really matter.
Budget wise, I would prefer to not go over $50. I just want something that will give better than average sound quality and that can cut out some of the noise in the gym, especially the people talking on there cell phones while on the treadmill. I don't want to hear there conversations.

Yeah, that sounds more of an issue of it being isolated; it's like putting your ear next to a wall and tapping on it, you're going to hear the tap transmitted through the wall. That being said, if you want to continue using your Shure's I would suggest looking around for some sort of attachable cable clip (i.e. Cable Clip Prevents Catches, Pulls and Snags just to prevent the cable from bouncing around)

As for actual suggestions I don't know of too many headphones currently (I'm pretty broke so I haven't been keeping up) but here are a few suggestions:

NuForce NE-7m's are a good choice at around $50 - they're IEMs so they're isolating, mic included, decent range of tips to choose from although they unfortunately don't have a clip included so you'll be suffering the same problem you currently do.

Head-Direct RE2s are $40 (with an included Fiio Amp) pretty good reviews also but still no shirt clip.

SoundMAGIC PL30s can be found for approximately $30 also seemed pretty liked. Lots of tips to choose from and a shirt clip IS included so that's covered.

Hope you can find something to your liking.

Reactions: mched
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones