• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help incredible 2 working on Tmobile

As far as I know, T-mo uses GSM radios, where Verizon is CDMA. Even though the phone is "global" and works on GSM bands in other countries, VZW has some kind of software on the phone that prevents it from working specifically on AT&T and T-Mo's bands.

So unless I'm wrong, you'd need a new radio set in the phone to get it to work on T-Mo.

Upvote 0
ok, so i just unlocked my phone to t mobile. talk works but no data. does anyone know how to get data to work? i was told its just a matter of changing the APN settings but i have no clue what that means or how to do it.

any help is much appreciated.

Just google tmobile apn settings... or check out this link.

Using CyanogenMod now, so I don't know if it's the same as stock but push the menu button (2nd from the left); settings; wireless & networks; mobile networks; access point names; menu button again; new apn... then fill in the settings.

link to follow...

Upvote 0
does anyone know if the hsdpa (t-mobile's 4g) works with this phone? I got it rooted and I'm using it, but data seems slower than my G2. Also, the settings don't mention it... think I'm set up with 2g & 2g/3g and E shows up on the status bar (I assume for Edge) but the H never comes up nor do I see options to allow it... probably because roms assume the user will be with verizon (they have option for global, EvDo, CDMA, GSM, or combos of aforementioned). I have played with GSM only and Global, but I wondered if anyone had pointers.

Upvote 0
ok, so i just unlocked my phone to t mobile. talk works but no data. does anyone know how to get data to work? i was told its just a matter of changing the APN settings but i have no clue what that means or how to do it.

I got an unlock code from verizon and did Disable SIM card lock with the code. However, when I insert my T-mobile SIM card, the phone still shows "No service". Please help! How do you get the t mobile to work?
I did switch Preferred Network to "GSM/UMTS Mode", it still shows "no service". I tried with my Simple Mobile SIM, again, it shows "no service". When I go to "Disable SIM card lock" under security, it clearly shows "SIM lock is disabled." but my phone will not work with other SIM card, someone please HELP!

Upvote 0

Are you located at U.S.? Is it true that Verizon blocks T-mobile?
I just purchased a Verizon HTC incredible 2 and got an unlock code from verizon. I Disable SIM card lock with the code. However, when I insert my T-mobile SIM card, the phone still shows "No service". Please help! How do you get the t mobile to work?
I did switch Preferred Network to "GSM/UMTS Mode", it still shows "no service". I tried with my Simple Mobile SIM, again, it shows "no service". When I go to "Disable SIM card lock" under security, it clearly shows "SIM lock is disabled." but my phone will not work with other SIM card, someone please HELP!

Upvote 0
So, I got my phone unlocked, and yes, after about 12 hours or so, the data started working. But good-grief it's friggin' slow.

Is there some trick to get decent data speeds on T-Mobile network?

Network Settings - GSM/UMTS
used the second APN from the link above

I'm getting an EDGE network connection voice, sms and data is working, but I'm only getting about 10K/s downloads from the market, and it's almost to the point that the data is so slow, facebook can't update! argh....

Upvote 0
So, I got my phone unlocked, and yes, after about 12 hours or so, the data started working. But good-grief it's friggin' slow.

Is there some trick to get decent data speeds on T-Mobile network?

Network Settings - GSM/UMTS
used the second APN from the link above

I'm getting an EDGE network connection voice, sms and data is working, but I'm only getting about 10K/s downloads from the market, and it's almost to the point that the data is so slow, facebook can't update! argh....

The trick is, there is no trick. The HTC Droid incredible 2 is a dual banded phone as you know. The thing is, although it is a GSM/CDMA phone the GSM band in the phone is 900/2100mhz and T-Mobile runs their data on 1700mhz so getting 3g is not possible. I guess it is safe to say you have edge which sadly, is the fastest you will get unless you are connected to Wi-Fi or mobile hot spot. Edge is still good for GPS which is all you would need it for really unless you stream music, and in that case just put the music on your SD card and your good.;)

Network: CDMA 800/1900MHz + UMTS/HSPA 900/2100MHz + GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz <--- Those are the bands the phone has.

This is from T-mobiles wiki which explains you getting Edge.

The company owns licenses to operate a 1900 MHz GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) PCS (Personal Communications Service) digital cellular network and a 1700 MHz/2100 MHz UMTS AWS (Advanced Wireless Services) digital cellular network that cover areas of the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It provides coverage in areas in which it does not own radio frequency spectrum licenses via roaming agreements with other operators of compatible networks.
In addition to its cellular mobile network, the company operates a nationwide Wi-Fi Internet access network under the T-Mobile HotSpots brand. The T-Mobile HotSpots network consists of thousands of Wi-Fi access points installed in businesses, hotels and airports throughout the U.S.
[edit]Cellular network
The company's predecessor, VoiceStream Wireless, began building a regional, 2G, 1900 MHz GSM, circuit switched, digital cellular network in 1994 and first offered service in 1996 in Honolulu, Hawaii, and Salt Lake City, Utah. From that starting point, the network has expanded in size through acquisitions of other cellular-network operators and additional spectrum purchases. The network has expanded in capabilities through the introduction of new technologies. VoiceStream upgraded the 1900 MHz network to include packet switching via General Packet Radio Service (GPRS), then increased packet switched data transmission speeds via Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE). In 2006, the company spent US$4.2 billion to purchase 120 D, E or F block 1700 MHz/2100 MHz AWS licenses[23] and began rolling out 3G UMTS services in those frequency bands. Most recent, the company has been upgrading network equipment and back-haul capabilities to enable first HSPA (High Speed Packet Access), then HSPA+ (Evolved HSPA) services in the AWS bands. It is marketing its HSPA+ services as 4G.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_USA

Upvote 0
I got an unlock code from verizon and did Disable SIM card lock with the code. However, when I insert my T-mobile SIM card, the phone still shows "No service". Please help! How do you get the t mobile to work?

Remember that on Incredible 2, the back cover is the antenna...make sure it's in place...also make sure the sim card is inserted correctly....slanted cut side should be facing down. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Are you located at U.S.? Is it true that Verizon blocks T-mobile?
I just purchased a Verizon HTC incredible 2 and got an unlock code from verizon. I Disable SIM card lock with the code. However, when I insert my T-mobile SIM card, the phone still shows "No service". Please help! How do you get the t mobile to work?

How did you get unlock code from verizon? I bought the Droid incredible 2 through craigslist. I saw that this has both GSM and CDMA technology so I bought it. The guy told me to contact verizon to get the unlock code if I needed to use tmobile. I called their customer care and they said we do not give out unlock codes. What am I missing here? :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones