• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Initial X2 GB impressions

Still waiting in New Hampshire.

I really don't understand why they don't make it a server based sign in site where the update is available to those who want Gingerbread. Whatever. I know I can install it through other means but I already rooted the phone by which I saw a few small improvements but diminishing in the end. Nothing too much of a reason to root.

I then factory reset the phone because the dialer app died...that sucked. Started from scratch from there. I don't have any real major issues with the phone. I do, however, reboot the phone once a day at least. At one point before rooting the the KILL APP function I had 100 Mb ram free at random times. Pandora did skip strangely. That was annoying. The phone did reboot occasionally...but no big deal. It reboots within a minute. The gallery was very slow and did become better with sd boost but even better with a different picture/video app like quickpic.

Overall, I like the phone. Hell, I even like my wifes Thunderbolt. It is as smooth as glass and we don't even have 4g. The screen quality gripes I find ridiculous. I am not part of the denial mafia as I once read. I see wtheck is being said but the brightness of the screen more than makes up for it when I am outside using Golf Tracker Pro. oh yea. Now that Netflix is available Im even 1000 percent more satisfied watching Sons of Anarchy.

This phone is good....but I'll admit...I want Gingerbread NOW. Not a big deal either way. If its pissing you off get outside and leave the dang thing behind...its not TEOTW. I agree, I wish launching were more stable, but then there would be simply more complaints about delays.

Android is life changing....period. I could write a book about why...be happier.

Peace.

Upvote 0
Just finished the update and started playing with it a bit. It does seem alot snappier. I was amazed at how fast Slacker came up and started. I was having issues with it taking forever to come up, then load the main screen, then it just sit at 0:00 / 4:00 or whatever and wouldn't start. This fired right up like almost instantly and started up and started playing immediately. Haven't really noticed a huge lag between songs like I used to get or randon pauses/skips/pops etc... But Like I said, I just finished the update. Battery indicator seems to still be giving me 10% increments though, which kinda blows

[Update]
Been listening to Slacker for about an hour now.. Not a SINGLE pop or skip and NO lag between songs. I've been text messaging while listening as well with no apparent issues. I did clean my cache while Slacker was running which did cause some stutter while it was cleaning, but afterwards it was fine again. It's feeling like a dual core device now.

Upvote 0
Well, I was waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting forever for this update. Wow, a little disappointed. Sure it fixed some of my problems, but, for every problem it fixed 2 more replaced it.
Before:
-Duplicate text messages were sent from my phone. Sometimes I would send something out at 8am, they would get it ASAP, then again at midnight.
-Reboots.
-Apps were slow to load.
-Downloads would quit, then start back up and download twice. When download was complete the app was nowhere to be found.

After:
-Apps are good.
-Downloads are fine.
-Texting has been fixed.
-Notification light stays on after charge. I have to reboot.
-Notification plays after charge. Even after it is unplugged it still plays telling me to disconnect. I have to reboot.
-When texting, if I use those nice new ALT keys the message is sent out BLANK!
-Signal drops all the time. All the time. ALL THE TIME. I would have a full signal and I would open an app that draws data and the signal will drop to no bars-1x. To get any signal back I have to reboot.
-WIFi drops when screen is locked. After unlock it taked 5 minutes to get it back.

That's my 2 cents. Anyone have any solutions for me?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones