• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install App to phone w/o file manager

chargersrool

May 6, 2013
I have a problem, the phone is a p.o.s. (kyocera rise) and is my fathers. I want to use it as a music player but problem is the phone is not active nor will it connect to the wifi. "timed out" every single time. I downloaded a music player .apk file and moved it to the sd card root dir. but how can I install it now?

Im sure it does not have a stock file manager.
If you've moved the .apk to the SD card's root dir then you could try to execute this line in the address field of your phone's internet browser ...

file:///sdcard/your .apk file name
(... yep, 'file:' instead of 'http:' and three /// :) )

EDIT: Make sure that you execute the line on the brower's address field not as a search.

Upvote 0
You sure there's no file manager on the phone? Just about every Android phone has some kind of basic FM app built in. How did you move it to the SD, did you do that on a PC?
The apk doesn't have to be in any particular location to install it, but regardless of where you put it it won't just run by itself. You have to navigate to it with a file mgr and tap on it so the phone's package installer can install it.

Upvote 0
If you've moved the .apk to the SD card's root dir then you could try to execute this line in the address field of your phone's internet browser ...

file:///sdcard/your .apk file name
(... yep, 'file:' instead of 'http:' and three /// :) )

EDIT: Make sure that you execute the line on the brower's address field not as a search.

You Sir, are Amazing! Thank you for saving me time instead of figuring out adb.

I do have another problem, might as well ask. my phone-SGS2 has a stuck sleep button and it keeps turning on automatically. How can I determine the amount of time I want my phone to stay on the lockscreen? (when you press the sleep button on any phone, the lockscreen comes up for a certain amount of time)

Upvote 0
You're welcome :)

Edit: ... this sleep button, do you mean the Power button for putting the phone on stand-by?
My HTC phone has on Settings, Security a time-out option for the lock screen ... maybe it would work reverse like with a stucked Power button ... just guessing.
I'd not trying it, there is the danger of a complete lock out with this stuck button.

Upvote 0
Well the good thing is the button is stuck in the "on" position.
whenever I take the battery out and put it back in it turns on, so to put the phone to sleep i use a proximity scanner and thats what I have been doing for months. The only downside like i said is the phone keeps turning on the lockscreen then back off and back on etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones