• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install Oreo on already rooted phone

Is there an Oreo custom ROM for the S3? If so you can install that in the same way that you installed Nougat (since I'm guessing that was also a custom ROM): back up your apps and data, go into your custom recovery, back up your old ROM (in case the new one doesn't work), factory reset (to clear data that will not be compatible with the new ROM), install new ROM, reboot, restore your apps and data.

Technically rooting is modifying the ROM to allow you to grant admin privileges to apps, and the custom recovery is separate (though usually installed as part of the process). Once you have a custom recovery you can use that to install new ROMs without having to do anything else (and custom ROMs are almost always rooted already).

Of course the first question is most important: has anyone built an Oreo ROM for the S3? There's no generic OS that can be installed, it has to be built for the device, so it's only possible if someone has done that.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Is there an Oreo custom ROM for the S3? If so you can install that in the same way that you installed Nougat (since I'm guessing that was also a custom ROM): back up your apps and data, go into your custom recovery, back up your old ROM (in case the new one doesn't work), factory reset (to clear data that will not be compatible with the new ROM), install new ROM, reboot, restore your apps and data.

Technically rooting is modifying the ROM to allow you to grant admin privileges to apps, and the custom recovery is separate (though usually installed as part of the process). Once you have a custom recovery you can use that to install new ROMs without having to do anything else (and custom ROMs are almost always rooted already).

Of course the first question is most important: has anyone built an Oreo ROM for the S3? There's no generic OS that can be installed, it has to be built for the device, so it's only possible if someone has done that.

Thank you Hadron. I really appreciate your helpful and not too technical reply. I have searched for Oreo but cannot really understand answers. I hope that another forum member maybe knows a link

Upvote 0
I've had a quick look at xda-developers and can't see any evidence of an Oreo ROM for the S3 existing (for any version of the S3, though from the fact that you are posting at this time I assume you are not in the US or Canada and so it's most likely the "international" version you have).

There was one thread about Lineage 15, which is an Oreo ROM, but when I read it it was just a few people saying "Anyone done this?", "Yes, that would be a great idea, but I don't know how", "Me neither, hopefully someone will" and nothing else.

Upvote 0
Oh, I'd say that getting Nougat running on a 2012 phone is pretty good going :D.

The thing is that with mobile phones the operating system always has to be built for the device. So getting Oreo on it will need someone who knows what they are doing to build it for that model, assuming that there are compatible drivers for the various bits and pieces of the phone. That requires both knowledge and time, so for most people (and this definitely includes me) it's a matter of seeing whether anybody else has done it.

I'd keep an eye on it: the S3 clearly still has an active development community, more so than many more recent devices, so it's possible that someone will do this. I just don't see any sign at the moment that it has been done so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones