• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install stock android over MotoBlur?

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums. I couldn't find this questioned answered in any other posts, so I thought I'd post here. Sorry if it's a repeat.

So I'm not an android customer yet, but hope to be around Christmas. I'm with T-Mobile right now and would rather not move to another carrier (especially if the rumored $50 "all you can eat" plan comes true). I also want a device that has a keyboard, admittedly mostly because I want to be able to play the nintendo roms which seem much, much easier with a physical keyboard.

Anyway, so my choices are limited to either a G1 or the upcoming Cliq. I'd much rather have the Cliq as it looks a little nicer, is probably a little slimmer, and I believe has beefier hardware. BUT, I am not so much a fan of the Blur theme. I don't feel the need to have twitter and facebook all over my phone. I know that you can probably turn all that off, but I would still much rather just have stock android on the phone. I thought I read somewhere that Blur was put on top of version 1.1 (not sure if that's true), and I also would really like to be able to always have the latest build without having to wait additional time for it. For example, if Android 2.0 comes out with multi-touch, I don't want to have to wait for Motorola to update their product a couple months down the road or however long it takes. (I think that's how it works at least).

Sorry for the long and rambling explanation...here's my question. Is it possible to obtain a stock android build and replace Blur on the Cliq? I don't know if this is something that can't be answered until the unit is out, but for example, is it something you could do with the Sense UI right now? I don't necessarily want a "rooted" phone and be able to download free apps and do whatever else people do with them. I just want it to act as though the phone came with plain vanilla android. And if it is possible, will it still act like regular android (for example, I don't know if this is the case, but do rooted phones not automatically get OTA updates and stuff)?

Again, sorry for the long post. Thanks for any answers you can provide. I look forward to getting my android phone and joining in on the discussions more often here! :D

Anybody? :D

I found this site that has a bunch of roms, with one of them listed as "TheOfficial TMO DRC83 - (Donut) - US v2.0.1"

AndroidSPIN Developer Homepage for enomther

Is that what I would need if I wanted to replace Blur with stock android? Would it then just act like a regular android phone like the G1 or MyTouch as though it came with regular android, or would I need to from then on out do manual updates and stuff? :thinking:

Sorry, new to all this kind of stuff.

Upvote 0
Anybody? :D

I found this site that has a bunch of roms, with one of them listed as "TheOfficial TMO DRC83 - (Donut) - US v2.0.1"

AndroidSPIN Developer Homepage for enomther

Is that what I would need if I wanted to replace Blur with stock android? Would it then just act like a regular android phone like the G1 or MyTouch as though it came with regular android, or would I need to from then on out do manual updates and stuff? :thinking:

Sorry, new to all this kind of stuff.

No, that is not the build you need for the Cliq however it will work on the G1... as for right now the G1 has WAY more options and rooted builds because it has been out the longest... that being said once the cliq hits the wild and more developers get their hands on it, yes it will be rooted and yes it will eventually have g1 based builds made for it.... The Cliq will probably be a bit different when it comes to builds also being that it does not have a physical call or end call button if you look at the photos they are integrated into the os home screen.... personally i think im going to at least try the cliq and i have owned the g1 since day 1 of the release/pre order... So in other words might want to wait about a month or so until more people get their hands on the cliq than make the judgement call on which one to buy.........

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

So I'm taking that to mean that if I buy the Cliq, I could never install just an official plain android build, since some of the hard keys aren't there to support it and there would have to be some modification to it.

Oh well, I have until Christmas before I was going to buy one anyway. As much as I'd like to stick with T-Mobile (especially if their rumored $50 plan comes true), maybe I'll jump to Verizon for the Acer Liquid or Moto Sholes if they don't cost more than $300.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

So I'm taking that to mean that if I buy the Cliq, I could never install just an official plain android build, since some of the hard keys aren't there to support it and there would have to be some modification to it.

Oh well, I have until Christmas before I was going to buy one anyway. As much as I'd like to stick with T-Mobile (especially if their rumored $50 plan comes true), maybe I'll jump to Verizon for the Acer Liquid or Moto Sholes if they don't cost more than $300.

No, I'm not saying that you can't, what im saying is that it wont be instantly available and as with most other builds will most likely require rooting... so my guess is around 2 months after release... that should allow time to find a way to root and then create a custom build or 2.... but at the moment nothing is guaranteed as it isn't in the wild yet...

Upvote 0
Got ya. Thanks for the clarification. It just kind of leads me to a couple more questions (sorry...like I said, I'm new to all this)

When someone finds a way to root the phone, does that mean I can put on plain android 1.6? I know this sounds like I'm asking the same question over and over, but what I mean is...is it going to be the same OS as though google themselves provided it? Would it come with all the same google apps? Would it act absolutely no different than if I were to have a g1 or mytouch? Would it get over the air updates? I don't want to have to manually install a new rom every time google updates android. Or would it not be legal to distribute the exact android OS as though it came straight from google because that would mean including all their proprietary apps that seem to be a no-no? If that's the case, could I just back up my google apps that originally came with the phone before I root it and then install them onto the plain android OS that someone would have to provide without all the apps?

Again, I can't apologize enough if these are really stupid questions, and thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Upvote 0
Forgive me if I'm proven wrong later (I'm not exactly an expert), but I think it's safe to say that you will probably see instructions on how to root the Cliq and install other android roms (including rooted vanilla android roms) hit the internet shortly after it's release to the general public. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that there will be a way to flash the Cliq with a vanilla android rom without rooting it first. If you don't want to root, you'll probably be stuck with motoblur.

One thing I noticed in reading reviews and specs on the Motorola Cliq is that it's very similar hardware-wise to the G1. The Cliq has more RAM (256MB) than the G1 (192MB) and a better camera (5MP vs. 3MP) and includes a 3.5mm headphone jack, but those are the only areas in which the Cliq is clearly superior. All other differences are more up to your personal preference. The Cliq does come with a better battery (1400mAh vs. 1150mAh), but after-market high-capacity G1 batteries are inexpensive and easy to get. I got a 1600mAh battery from eBay for my G1 for under $10.

Upvote 0
You won't get OTA updates, you will have to root to flash a new ROM, but once you've done it, it's a breeze and honestly for me it's easier then waiting for a OTA to download. The Cliq's bootloader is locked unlike the G1 so it's gonna take a little bit longer for dev's to gain root access, but it will happen eventually. You will get all the same Google apps, it will most likely be just like a plain stock vanilla version of Android, BUT, as for no Blur, that's up to the dev/ROM cooker. If they decide to leave it in there then your stuck with it, but hopefully more people will request a ROM without it. I've seen a few people saying the same thing about not needing/wanting all the in-your-face social integration so I think your all set.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones