• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing Windows 7

Rossco_Pee

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2009
Iowa
I am planning on updating to Windows 7 from Vista Home Premium, but I am worried about the ability to lose access to my phone via command prompt. Would I just need to install Android SDK again? It has been so long since I rooted my phone that I haven't a clue where to find any of this stuff anymore.

Thanks.

I have it running on Win7 x64 Pro.

At the time I set it up (with the SDK driver rather than using HTCSync or an RUU to install the driver), I had to manually hack the .INF file... but I believe that is something that affects only W7 x64, and may have been corrected in any event in the latest SDK release. (I remember eclipse telling me not long ago that the driver package had been updated).

Go for it. (I don't envy you with the Vista -> Win 7 upgrade install though; not that I've ever gone through it, but upgrade installs just plain give me the willies)

Upvote 0
I have it running on Win7 x64 Pro.

At the time I set it up (with the SDK driver rather than using HTCSync or an RUU to install the driver), I had to manually hack the .INF file... but I believe that is something that affects only W7 x64, and may have been corrected in any event in the latest SDK release. (I remember eclipse telling me not long ago that the driver package had been updated).

Go for it. (I don't envy you with the Vista -> Win 7 upgrade install though; not that I've ever gone through it, but upgrade installs just plain give me the willies)
Yeah, I installed it to Windows 7 x64. The SDK driver works without modification now.

Also, when you install the Java Development kit, make sure to use the x86 version. The x64 version does some weird stuff when I tried it. Not like they are too much different anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones