• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Integrating tablet and phone

Phil42

Jul 19, 2011
I'm wondering if there's an app which permits an Android Tablet to use a phone's sensors and other functions via WiFi.

For example, my phone has GPS, the tablet doesn't. With this hypothetical app the tablet would be able to use the phone's GPS and could have much larger maps (and other GPS related functions) than the phone's screen.

It would also be desirable to have the capability to enter and read text messages on the tablet's screen, edit phonebook contacts, etc.

Tethering would be desirable, although that capability already exists in many apps.

Thoughts?

I just found an app which lets my Android phone act like a Bluetooth GPS unit.

On the tablet side I found an app which lets you use an external Bluetooth GPS - and they do play well together. But this only lets me access the GPS through that app (i.e. I can't use Navigation, Maps, or any other standard Android GPS apps).

What I'm looking for is a tablet app which integrates an external GPS receiver into the Android operating system so it's transparent to apps on the tablet (i.e. so they think the tablet has GPS). I'm rooted so if it's got to be patched into the Android Kernel that's okay.

And as noted upthread it would be nice if all of the phone's functions could be used on the tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones