1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Interacting with running Google Search app

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by hackster84, Oct 21, 2014.

1. hackster84

hackster84 Lurker

Hi,

I am writing an app that transmits and receives data over the audio port, which requires me to start an AudioRecord instance on the mic. I have the app working on most phones, however I ran into an issue on the Droid Mini where the Google Search app has an active AudioRecord on the input source I need. This is due to the Hotword Detection being active at all times on the phone. I don't know why this is an issue on this phone only, as I have the Hotword Detection active on my phone as well (Droid RAZR M) and I have no problems getting access to the resource.

In my research on the matter, I noticed that there are permissions called com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.permission.PAUSE_HOTWORD and com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.permission.RESUME_HOTWORD which indicates to me that there is a way to pause the Hotword Detection so that another application can use that resource for something. With that in mind, I would like to be able to pause Hotword Detection when my app is actively reading data and resume it when the audio resource is no longer needed. I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find what I need to do in order to call the routine that would actually pause the detection. Is it simply a matter of including those permissions in my manifest file, or do I need to do that and call an actual pause() and resume() function?

I ran an ADB bugreport on the affected phone and I found these entries in the report file:

Code (Text):
    1.       Action: "com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.action.PAUSE_HOTWORD"
    3.       Action: "com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.action.RESUME_HOTWORD"
    5.       requiredPermission=com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.permission.PAUSE_HOTWORD
    Again, this is essentially the action that I'm trying to accomplish - any idea how I can do that? As always, thank you in advance for your help.

-Chris

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download