• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Argh - Themes installing/editing for an idiot

Ok, I give up, I just can't get JB Dom theme to install correctly without either getting SystemUI FC or a GPRS FC error. At weekend flashed Wanamlite 5.1 (plus Siyah 1.8.4) and really like the MV. So then tried to flash Dom 1.4.3 (wipe cache, wipe Dalvik in CWM first) from internal SD Card, and still no joy. Even tried repeating flash followed by one of the 15 Toggle mods (although I think 15 toggles may now be stock under 4.1.2 anyway so wasn't surprised it didn't work?).

So thought I'd try latest Motomoto on top of Wanam - which was successful but I don't like the gauge battery in the theme. So then added battery icons I wanted in to SystemUI in res/drawable-xhdpi (copied from sys>app after flashing theme), copied back and re-boot. This only partially worked though as the icons i added were 1% icons but ended up out of sync with actual levels. I think the gauge battery in Motomoto might only cover ranges, and suspect I might also need different XML files to get this to work correctly :thinking:.

But to be honest this is getting beyond my abilities at the moment, so any help/links much appreciated (I just can't get on with the stock look especially the grey notification bar icons :( )

I managed to flash jb domination over wanamlite so it is possible. You need to make sure you have no mods installed before flashing the theme. So reflash the Rom and make sure you don't have any of the mods ticked. I think there's 3 in aroma installer, 23 toggles, hide some button on something and something else. Then boot straight back into recovery mode when the Rom has booted and flash the theme.

Upvote 0
I don't know if these are to your liking but there's the option of flashing these status bar themes over the motomoto. I got fed up waiting for the jb domination 23 toggle mod so flashed them over the top without any problems. Just don't flash the brightness slider as they have me systemUI fc
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995320

Reactions: saltire
Upvote 0
Tried a couple of those but doesn't look like Motomoto has correct xml to ref all the 1% pngs. Only thing I toggled in Wanam aroma was rom, kernel and fonts so unless extra fonts count as a mod I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with Domination install.

I'd like to try and get Motomoto working with another set of battery icons but it doesn't seem to have any of the battery xmls in the theme zip. If I copy the two battery xmls from say Omega rom or from Domination theme zip into Motomoto zip in correct folder will that work? Is it the xml files that ref all the 1% battery icons?

Upvote 0
Ah got what i wanted eventually, bit inefficient though so need to learn how to use the VRTheme system :)confused:) and how to edits XMLs :)confused::thinking:)

Ended up having to flash 1% mod from raubkatze to get 1% battery icons working correctly, then motomoto's theme. Then swapped battery icons i wanted into themed SystemUI, flashed updated SystemUI using CWM ZIP script :D

Happy it worked though, thanks to raubkatze and motomoto :)

Upvote 0
vrtheme system, its teh same as any flashable zip. You simply have to reproduce the structure of your android rom.

In any flashable zip, you'd have system/app/systemUI.apk for example.

The only difference here is you do not include the entire apk. Its simply a folder called systemUI.apk. VRT unpacks the actual apk and puts the contents of your vrt folder in the apk and repackages it.

That means for themes that are just images like battery icons etc, you dont have to make a whole new theme very time. Obviously with JB Domination, its xml heavy so thats not quite the same

Reactions: saltire
Upvote 0
Think I understood the basic premise of it but what I wasn't sure of was a whether I could copy the 2 battery xmls from a 4.1.1 rom to add into res\drawable in the SystemUI.apk folder for use in a 4.1.2 rom. And also wasn't sure whether I'd need to also copy the same xmls into Framework-res.apk folder to get the 1% icons to work.

Also wasn't sure if there was anything else I'd need to add to the VRT system to get it to work. Thinking about it I suppose I could have just swapped the icons I wanted into the Motomoto VRT zip and reduce extra step.

True what they say a little knowledge is dangerous :) guess ELKC is set up only for staged battery percentages although it does appear to have 15 toggles as stock unless the devs have cooked this in?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones