• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Cyanogenmod - couple questions

Rooted on stock 4.1.2 and planning on installing Cyanogenmod as my first custom ROM, got couple queries before I commit:

Can I use Titanium to restore backed up apps and app data from previous ROM to Cyanogenmod, or do I need to install again from Google Play? Be a pain to lose app data.

How easy to return to stock? Does nandroid recovery work, or do I need to flash with Odin and root/rebuild again?

That's all (for now), cheers.

Okay, here goes.

Titanium will certainly restore apps to the newly flashed device. Where you may run into problems is if the version of the app has changed for the new OS and it changed the location or file format of the data. There were a number of problems when trying this from apps backed up on Gingerbread and trying to restore them to JB, which virtualizes the volumes. I don't think there would be any problem with an app backed up on 4.1.x to 4.4. although I wouldn't try it if you are using ART instead of Dalvik for the runtime.

A nandroid is pretty much a complete image of your phone at the moment of backup. If you take a nandroid of your phone running stock 4.1.2 and you flash CM10 and don't like it. restoring the nandroid will put you right back to stock.

If you wanted to resort to fully out-of-the-box stock, like a brand new phone, then flashing a stock image with Odin would be the way to go.

Upvote 0
Can I use Titanium to restore backed up apps and app data from previous ROM to Cyanogenmod, or do I need to install again from Google Play? Be a pain to lose app data.

Yes you can. That's what makes Titanium so brilliant. So no, you don't need to install again from Google Play.

How easy to return to stock? Does nandroid recovery work, or do I need to flash with Odin and root/rebuild again?

Yes you can easily return to stock. Nandroid restore from recovery does work, but it will only allow you to return to your ROOTED 4.1.2 that you have now, not pure unrooted stock.

If you flashed a stock rom with odin you would lose your custom recovery and your data - you would have to build from scratch from play store and Titanium would not work without root so you would also lose app data (unless you re-root).

But you can easily restore to where you are now, with all your data intact, from a nandroid backup.

You're welcome :)

Upvote 0
....or jellybeer 4.33 ;)

....but yeah, titanium has always been solid for me moving between 4.1.2 - 4.2.2 - 4.3.1 etc - only issue might be when going from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 is that the default folder can get messed up after flashing - i always copy my TB to external .... its the only way to be sure :)

Reactions: jim64
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones