• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Advice on File Permissions for Root

Downloaded straight to nexus, moved to internal memory, then flashed and it worked like a charm! (I'm Kind of impressed with my skills) You are the man! Thanks so much for the help! Although trying to update Superuser it gets stuck? From what I read, I'm assuming it's a little buggy?

Hmm, not sure about the update thing...? Didn't run into that myself...

Are you speaking of updating the Superuser.apk from the Market? (I haven't done or had to do that).

Glad you got it rooted, though :).

Upvote 0
Hi SA,

I'm feeling lucky to find your post and see the effective solution.
Let me explain you my case, I unrooted my phone using SuperSU and it has wiped all Super user traces.
Root Checker says "No root access"
File details using Android Commander 0.7.9.11 are as below

/sbin (blank, i couldn't see any files in this dir)
/system/bin (exist)
/system/bin/su (no such dir)
/system/xbin (exist)
/system/xbin/su (no such dir)

When I open Shell Console from Android Commander

# adb shell
adb shell
error: device not found
1|shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ $ su
/system/bin/sh: shell@android:/: not found
127|shell@android:/ $

Re-installed drivers ..... and tried again with CMD

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\PathH0058>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ su
su
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
127|shell@android:/ $

I've also tried to Fastboot my device and tried to apply update from SD card, but it says:

-- Install /sdcard ...
Error: Invalid OTA package
Update.zip is not correct
Installation aborted.

I'm using Windows 7 PC to which my Andriod 4.0 phone is connected, USB debugging on.
Can you help putting the root access back.

Upvote 0
mon2oo,

Welcome to the AndroidForums! :)

I'm not 100% sure about what your goal is here, but let me ask you a few questions:

1, I'm not too familiar with the SuperSU unroot function/feature, but you're saying that you unrooted, right?

2. Are you simply trying to regain root?

If you are simply trying to re-install the root binaries, you typically do this by flashing (installing) them using a custom recovery like ClockworkMod, etc. (that's where the su.zip file comes in to play--you can't use the fastboot update command to install the su.zip file).

3. Do you have a custom recovery installed?

4. How did you root in the first place?

Let us know and we'll get you sorted...

Apologies for the delay in replying...been a very busy morning :).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot SA for taking time to going through my post.... I'm sure I got the right person here.

My goal is to gain back my root access, and then install a custom ROM, as at present only three Apps (Phone dialer, Contact and Message) are not working, giving an error message "The System is not authorized will automatically shut down" and on clicking "Yes" the apps closes.

Please find my answers in blue
1, I'm not too familiar with the SuperSU unroot function/feature, but you're saying that you unrooted, right? YES
2. Are you simply trying to regain root? YES

If you are simply trying to re-install the root binaries, you typically do this by flashing (installing) them using a custom recovery like ClockworkMod, etc. (that's where the su.zip file comes in to play--you can't use the fastboot update command to install the su.zip file).

3. Do you have a custom recovery installed? NO
4. How did you root in the first place? Using shell script (Attachment : ScreenShort & Shell Script )

As I say, no sign of SuperUser left in my phone.
Looking forward to get this resolved by your help.

Upvote 0
Ah, mon2oo, I see now...this looks like the new, general ICS/JB root method that uses an exploit in adb's backup function to gain root.

I don't actually have any personal experience with that method... I've also read that Google has closed the exploit for certain versions of Android.

So, a couple of other questions for you, mon2too:

1. Just to verify, you have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus? Also, is the bootloader unlocked (I'm guessing not...)?

2. Did you receive / install an update to your device after you previously rooted using this method? (i.e., an OTA that would have broken root?)

3. I'm assuming you've tried to re-root using this method? and, it worked before and is not working again? That's why I mentioned that Google patched the exploit--if you installed an OTA after having previously rooted (without otherwise saving root via something like OTA RootKeeper), the OTA may have closed the hole that the exploit used.

4. Can you tell us the value of your Settings -> About phone -> Android version and Build Number?

If you do have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, then we can get you rooted again, but you'll have to unlock your bootloader which will wipe your SD card's contents.

Let us know! :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi SA,

I was away for a week; back on work now.
Good news, I got my phone re-rooted, verified by "RootChecker" and used TitaniumBackup from Play store to take full backup.

Used "TPSparkyRoot" to regain my root access.
As I do not have CWM, can you help how to get that installed.

Phone details are as below:

Factory Mode Phone Version:
BB Chip : MT6575
MS Board : GT-I9300
UBoot Ver. : 2010.06
Kernel Ver.: 3.0.13 (
root@andriod) (gcc version 4.4.3) #1 PREEMPT Wed Aug 22 17:26:11 CST 2012
Android Ver. : 4.0.4
SW Ver. : ALPS.ICS.MP.V2.6
Custom Build Ver: 1345627582

About Phone:
Andriod Ver : 4.0.4
Basebrand Ver : MAUI.11AMD.W11.50.SP.V20, 2012/08/13 14:56
Kernel Ver : 3.0.13 1211 V12 Wed Aug 22 17:26:11 CST 2012
Build No. : IMM76D.I9300ZSALE9
Custom Build Ver: 1345627582

Upvote 0
Hey mon2oo, it kind of looks like you have an SGS3 clone (Mediatek?) type of device (not a true SGS3?) and that the rooting method is one originally developed for the Transformer Prime (Eee PAD).

I'm not familiar with either of those, LOL, and would be remiss to give you root-related advice for a device that I don't have personal experience with (or confidence in).

A quick Google search of your device's build number shows a few hits, but none that I'm familiar with.

Sorry I can't be of any more help :(, but I'm glad you regained root on your device :).

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones