• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

international keyboards and fonts

leslozar

Lurker
Jun 14, 2011
I was checking out android for my next smartphone purchase, and I was surprised to find that the ones I checked didn't have a good set of international keyboards.

I use ipod touch and they have all the international keyboards and fonts. I also use Linux distribution as my desktop, which comes with all the international keyboards, input methods, and fonts.

I checked a couple of android phones and tablets, and one had just English and Spanish, and the other had Chinese and some European, but that was about it.

Is this how android is packaged in all the smartphones? I had assumed that since they were based on Linux, they would have packaged all the international keyboards and fonts.

I guess I'm wrong. I'm kind of disappointed. I was hoping to get an android phone for my next purchase, rather than an iphone.

you can easily download a lot of great international keyboards. I use multiling for my Japanese, or openwnn. There are tons of options in the market for whatever language you want. Many are free, and most that are not free have trial versions. Here, I'll prove it, on my HTC Inspire.

私は強いろ猫が持たいです。

It is also super easy to switch between keyboards, just long-press on any text field, and select your keyboard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones