• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Unable To Root!

Mykltron

Dec 20, 2011
I can't root my galaxy s3 because Odin won't connect to the phone, I think this is because it just doesn't work on a Mac running VMware Fusion.

I can't root it through my Mac because according to this article:
How to Root Galaxy S3 on Mac OSX!
I need Android File Transfer, which I've never got to work on my s3 or my friend's s3mini.

Do I need to use Android FT or, as the article says to copy the file to anywhere on the s3, can I do it through Airdroid?

Can I do it through Kies then?

In step 10 that tutorial says 'connect as disk drive and copy the file CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip from GalaxyS3RootMac folder to anywhere on your Galaxy S3' and then has a link to an article about doing this through AFT. I can transfer a file to 'somewhere' on my s3 through Kies (but I have no control where!) and with Airdroid I can chose any folder so surely either of these methods would work.

I've never rooted so forgive my ignorance (that's why I'm asking for help!) but surely I can do all the other steps through USB and then do that one file transfer through any method (except AFT) and it will still work.

Upvote 0
I would try the method described using Heimdall. Personally I've never heard of Odin working on a Mac, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

No, just copying the Superuser zip file over to the phone will not be enough because you are then instructed to use your custom recovery to flash the zip file.

You need to flash the recovery .img first.

Then you could simply email the zip file to yourself to get it on the phone. Then boot into recovery and flash it.

Upvote 0
Sorry Davoid, that's a complex answer and I need to clarify. I shall use Heimdall as described in the tutorial. That doesn't look like a problem. I also understand that I need to do all 18odd steps to root.

Please just answer with a 'yes' or 'no' to keep things simple in my poor noob brain! Can I do step 10 (copy the file CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip from GalaxyS3RootMac folder to anywhere on your Galaxy S3) via Kies/Airdroid?

(and just to clarify, in case this message seems to contain bad attitude, it's unintentional. I really appreciate all the help.)

Upvote 0
Please just answer with a 'yes' or 'no' to keep things simple in my poor noob brain! Can I do step 10 (copy the file CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip from GalaxyS3RootMac folder to anywhere on your Galaxy S3) via Kies/Airdroid?

Yes, you can use either of these methods if they work for you. As long as you understand this doesn't give you root. It is just a way of getting the zip file onto your phone. But I think kies or airdroid would be fine.

Then from within your custom recovery you can browse to wherever the zip file has been stored, in order to flash it.

Upvote 0
Thank you. That's clear. I know it's just one step out of a loooong list!

Okay, slightly off topic: what are the risks of this? How likely is a bricking here? I only want to root so I can give Tasker back its ability to control Airplane mode since the stupid update to stupid 4.3. I'm not interested in flashing other ROMs.

Upvote 0
I would say there is very little risk of bricking your phone by rooting. That's not to say there is no risk, and it would be irresponsible to say so, but rooting isn't one of the processes that usually causes permanent damage to a phone. It is far more dangerous to flash a modem to your phone, for example.

Any problems you are likely to have can (usually) be recovered from.

I would, however, recommend using a laptop to flash your phone, because the laptop's battery affords you built in protection against power outages during the flash, which could otherwise cause you problems.

If you have any problems, the people on this forum will do our best to help you.

Good luck :)

Upvote 0
This is unbelievable. I just went through the whole thing and nothing changed.

At Step 12 (Once in ClockworkMod Recovery, choose &#8220;install zip from sdcard&#8221;. ) I didn't get the screen it mentions or shows in the pic. It's in Android system recovery <3e> and the available options are:
-reboot system now
-apply update from ADB
-apply update from external storage
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-apply update from cache

Feeling daring I went to 'apply update from external storage' and selected the SuperSU zip. It then rebooted but nothing has changed except that Odin mode now says CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (1 counts)

So what do I do? Do I need to install ClockworkMod Recovery? Or is that what installing recovery.img with Heimdall is doing? Cos it said it did that.

Upvote 0
I sent my phone off for repairs on Dec 30th and have only just got my phone back today (OMFG!). It got repaired under warranty, even though I'd try rooting. Anyway, today I spent four hours trying to root it with even less success than before.

I tried:
- Heimdall on my Mac with and without Kies installed;
- Heimdall on someone else's Mac with and without Kies installed;
- Odin v1.85 and v3.09 on my Mac's virtual Windows 7 with and without Kies and after installing what I think was the latest set of drivers;
- Odin v3.09 on someone else's Windows 7 with and without Kies and after installing what I think was the latest set of drivers.

Odin didn't find my s3, although the PC made the connection noise with two different cables that work for Kies.

Heimdall did various things from nothing to error messages.

So my question is: WTF? I have the lack of control I have with 4.3 and desperately want to root. Could they have put some sort of security lock on so I can't?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones