• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internet Connectivity

Barum

Lurker
May 13, 2013
I have a samsung Galaxy Ace..... When I am out walking in the countryside, about 1 1/2 miles from my home and no where near any other houses, I can get on line,search on the internet and send and recieved e mail. Yet when I look at wi-fi and internet connections (and search for new connections) it shows that nothing is within my range.......I am PAYG....I have checked my a/c and it cost me nothing to browse on the internet....I could be sat in the middle of a field ! How is this possible ?

It's the Internet Fairy ;-)

Seriously though, if you're not on wi-fi then it is using mobile data whether you see data charges or not. Some PAYG plans include some free data each time you top up (mine does) so you won't necessarily see any usage charges.

I have no experience of the Galaxy Ace but it presumably has some way of viewing data use on the phone itself - my Nexus 4 has this under settings>data usage but yours may differ.

Upvote 0
It's the Internet Fairy ;-)

Seriously though, if you're not on wi-fi then it is using mobile data whether you see data charges or not. Some PAYG plans include some free data each time you top up (mine does) so you won't necessarily see any usage charges.

I have no experience of the Galaxy Ace but it presumably has some way of viewing data use on the phone itself - my Nexus 4 has this under settings>data usage but yours may differ.
Thankyou.......I have just looked up my mobile provider..I do get 25mb a day for 25p
which is adequate for what I want !!!!! Didnt realize I had this @@???!! thankyou agian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones