1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Internet problem (auto forwards me to VM website)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BradSlam920, Mar 27, 2011.

1. BradSlam920

BradSlam920 Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Hello everyone.

I've had my Optimus V for about a month now and today I'm having a strange problem. In every browser I've tried (dolphin, stock browser, skyfire), when I try to use the internet, say go to craigslist.org, it forwards me to Virgin Mobiles website. Texting is working. The facebook app works when it wants to. But I can't get anywhere on the internet except for VM's website.

Anyone else have this problem and is there a fix?

Advertisement

2. lou61166

lou61166 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    PC Tech Owner Affordable computer repair.
    New Jersey
    This is caused by a billing issue,have you paid or recently paid your monthly charge,if so call VM,and have them reset your account

BradSlam920 likes this.
  3. BradSlam920

BradSlam920 Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Yeah I paid earlier this week. Thanks, I'll give them a call.

4. lburgguy

lburgguy Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    I had this exact thing happen this weekend. Do I have to call them every time or will they get it right in the system eventually??

5. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    Soggy Cascade Foothills, WA
    With VM, you never know. This problem has been happening at least since last September that I know of, based on other threads I've seen. Same thing happened to me the 1st time my plan automatically renewed, and I was without internet access for about 1 week until I figured it out. The Tier 3 support people had decided my phone was bad and was going to replace it (likely with a refurb), but I found a thread from last year mentioning this type of problem (Redirect Of Death), so I called CS one last time and asked nicely to please reset my plan, and I had internet access within 2 minutes, working fine ever since. I'd suggest watching closely the next time your plan renews, and check the very next day to see if it happens again.

6. BradSlam920

BradSlam920 Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Yeah the lady on the phone sounded really puzzled at first, but I mentioned that I thought maybe it had to do with my first billing cycle change, and she then said, "Oh yes, that's probably it!" and she reset my plan and I had internet in a few minutes.

7. Etegral

Etegral Newbie
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    I get this for about half the day on the day that my new month starts. It's always fixed itself, though.

8. duvallite

None

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    Are you set up so your plan automatically renews each month (auto credit card charge)?

9. Dirknar

Dirknar Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Ive had phone for almost two weeks, first it wouldnt connect to 3g at all. now it connects and does this redirect over and over and over..lol.

I have been on customer service about nine times and I think everytime they have reset my account and still no-go.. the phone is always telling me the wrong time too, if this 25mo plan wasnt so cheap I would not put up with it..

10. duvallite

None

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    Be sure that they actually reset your plan. Early on when they were troubleshooting my "redirect" problem, they said they reset my plan, but it still would redirect. What is key here is that when they did the plan reset, I never received any type of notification at all. A few days later when I asked another CS person to please reset my plan, she did it while we spoke, and my internet access immediately came back. When she did the reset, I received 2 automatic messages on my phone confirming the reset, and 1 email confirming it also.

All of this makes me think that if you don't get the plan confirmation messages after they supposedly do a plan reset, then they probably didn't actually do it or did not do it correctly. YMMV.

11. Etegral

Etegral Newbie
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Yep, I have it set to automatically renew.

12. greg4android

greg4android Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    More reasons to buy TOP-UP cards, and apply them AFTER the billing period is over. Example. Plan ends 3/29, dont apply a topup card until 3/30.
    I never like autopay or credit card payments.

13. kc3

kc3 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    US
    lol this happened to me too and yep, fixed it by calling and having them reset my plan and that was it. Amazing how so many people on this forum seem to know more about Virgin Mobile and their plans/phones than their employees do... The guy on the phone kept on telling me he didn't think it would work lol, I had this problem before and it solved it. He said he'd go ahead and reset it for me though and sure enough, as soon as I was off the phone my data was working again...

14. sha0ggy

sha0ggy Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2010
    :mad::thinking::mad:
    I have called customer support three times in the past 24 hours to try to get them to reset my plan so my data will work again (keeps forwarding me to vm site and no data connection in all my apps, just recently topped up) Each damn "supervisor" has me do the same ##847446# programming menu and redo the msid and all even tho they havent changed and are correct and then wait the 4 hours to get everything refreshed and straight. My phone has been "refreshed" like 8 times to no avail. What do I do when the "special supervisors" wont reset my account. They told me the problem ticket has been moved up to the highest level and it could take 4-5 days I just want what I paid for and nothing more, what should I do to get my phone's functions back?:mad::thinking::mad:

15. brightcell

brightcell Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    You actually can reset your plan yourself on the VM site.
    Good luck.

16. duvallite

None

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    sha0ggy,

if you try this method and reset your plan yourself, let us know if it fixed your redirect problem, or if you still have it. Thanks.

17. kc3

kc3 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    US
    Ask to talk to Escalations, the CS support staff and their supervisors are useless. I haven't had any issues being transferred to escalations by simply asking, now last time I had them reset my plan, I just asked them to do that, I told them I already reprogrammed it, reactivated it all I wanted was my plan reset. The guy was a bit (uh yeah) lol and kept saying that he doubts that was the problem and sure enough it fixed it.

18. sha0ggy

sha0ggy Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2010
    I escalated the call and they would do nothing but try to reprogram and troubleshoot. I'm fed up I'm going to have to go with some better carrier, after bitching the rep out I did get an extra 100 minutes added to my account but after paying for this months bill a week later the data stopped and the rep says I have to add another 40 bucks to restart my plan, so every week I have to pay 40 bucks to have a working phone? This company is a joke and their reps know less than my 8 y/o daughter. Thanks for you help guys but if my carrier won't even help me then fuc|< em'

++ edit ++ the rep was full of sh It cuz I didn't get anything added to my account except non-working data and headaches

19. duvallite

None

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    Sorry, man. Definitely frustrating, I know. Everyone has their limit, and VM CS seems to do their best to try and push all of us towards it.

20. keale18

keale18 Member
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    This happened to me yesterday. I added another 25 because my plan was up today and then I reset the phone via VM website and its working again.

Tags: