• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IP changes but no settings changed.

DLdeskgirl

Lurker
Nov 20, 2017
My ip address shows one thing at work, I walk 200 yards to my house and it changes. I don't use Wi-Fi, strictly data. What would cause this?

Attachments

• 20171120_112359.png
    20171120_112359.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 20171120_120709.png
    20171120_120709.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Jessica BMarie
I could be wrong but maybe it changes as your phone gets signals from different towers?

I'm sure that's what it is. And in fact the OP's first pic shows the IP being within the 10.x.x.x range, which means the carrier is using dynamic NAT routing within their network, simply because they don't have enough public IP addresses for all the phones that are connected the towers and networks.

IP addresses in the 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x ranges are not on the public internet and are reserved for local networks.

Last edited:
Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
The cellular IP address your phone is currently using is always going to be a variable. Your phone gets an assigned IP that varies depending on your location -- it's not a fixed identifier that's unique to your phone itself, but rather a changing one that each cell tower randomly and temporarily assigns to each device that connects to it. In short, your carrier determines which IP addresses your phone is using at any given moment, your phone does not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones