• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 4, Game changer?!

I doubt that very much.
Video calling has been around in the UK for a good few years and I don't know anybody that uses it. Very much of a gimick.
There is little or no value add in a video call apart from more expensive tariffs.
You want to make a proper video call? Use your laptop, netbook or computer.

TBH i think that video calling was a flop. The 3 network offered it for free on my old contract years ago but i never used it.. total waste.

With this gyroscope feature they have added... what actual advantage will this give the phone? How can it be used in.. lets say google maps?

Also.. iAds come on!! what a selling point! :rolleyes:

I totally agree with a comment made earlier.. iphone buyers are like sheep barrr :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I would say this time next year either Apple produce a truely NEW phone or start seriously loosing their place in the smartphone market.

As long as Apple is allowed to lie freely, it doesn't need to do anything about making new products. They will rake in the sales soley through marketing because there is base of people who are not smart enough to see through BS.

Upvote 0
The folks over at Droidlife put together this nice comparison chart. After looking at it, the new Iphone doesn't really look that superior, at least not by comparison to the droid incredible and definitely not the EVO. In fact it looks like it's caught up.

Comparison: iPhone 4 vs. Droid Incredible, EVO 4G, Nexus One | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

iphone4-vs-android.jpg

one interesting thing that I haven't seen anyone mention is the incentive the current Iphone owners have to stay. I was talking to a friend who is a hard core apple user. The guy has thousands of songs purchased from I tunes. Other than finding a converter (something he doesn't want to be troubled with), he is basically stuck because most of his music is in apple's format. The trouble of converting his library, as well as loosing most of his apps, is enough of an incentive to keep him on as an Iphone customer, even if the ATT service sucks.

BTW, did anyone catch what Jobs said about renewal customers who sign up for a new contract getting a new Iphone? what did he mean by that? Did hi mean that if you renew for 2 years you get a free new Iphone? If so that would surely be a hell of an incentive to stay on as a customer, despite the shitty service.

Upvote 0
This is still behind next to the Samsung Galaxy S over 300ppi is pointless the human eye won't notice anyway plus all that trouble and they leave the screen size at 3.5" Lol! 4" Super Amoled is gonna own.

I'm not gonna do side by side features but lets say the latest android phones are still far better and if i was in America i would be going for the EVO over this.

Does the wi-max capability (connecting mutiple devices to the EVO) stand out as a major difference with the iphone4?

Upvote 0
now hold on, more anoying adverts is definatly a reason to buy the phone!! i mean Steve said soo!!! he wouldnt lie would he!!!

You do realize that the keynote is addressing the developer community, right? Putting ads in an application is something that developers ARE interested in, right? Try making relevant points if you want to take shots at Apple and Steve Jobs... people might listen then.

Upvote 0
The iPhone platform is too fragmented. It won't survive if they don't get this under control. You have the new 4 with the full iOS 4, the 3GS with a subset of iOS 4, the 3 and below with no iOS at all, the 4 has twice the resolutions as the 3GS and below and the iPad has a totally different screen size and no info on if and when its getting iOS4. Developers will have to target too many platforms and it will never catch on. If they don't get this fragmentation under control they won't last long.

Now where have I heard all that before....?

The 3GS will also have the full iOS4, the 3G will have iOS4 sans multitasking, and the original iPhone will be stuck on iOS3. This puts +90% of the iphones on the newest OS. This is significant compared to the 32% of android phones using the newest version.

Upvote 0
Its still kind of gimmicky though. I mean, we have webcam options in things like aim and msn... but how many people actually use them?

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

LIke I said, just because some people don't have much/any use for it, doesn't mean it won't be used. I'd be using it so the person I'm calling, or calling me, can "see" things both inside "and outside" of the house, in making repairs, etc...not everyone has a laptop with a web cam to drag outside.

Heck, just this week, my buddy bought a used car, was having trouble removing the stereo, and had to drive over to my house for me to look at it. If he had "a" video phone, he could have just made a call and I could have walked him thru it.

Or how about somebody getting tickets to an event (concert, game, race, your interest here) and then being able to stream it to people who could not go? I'm sure someone somewhere will be buying movie tickets and streaming the feed to their friends/clients. To this day, I still have trouble describing the sheer volume of pretty women I saw during my trip to Spain...can't imagine how much easier it would have been via Skype on my n900. Puts a new twist on, "dude, you should have been there". ;)

Or how about someone coming accross something you were interested in buying (home, car, your interest here) and calls you, to provide a real-time "video walk-thru"?

Video calling, on its own, has its benefits...especially when free and over cellular connection (Skype/Google Talk). I'm not saying it has to be thru Apple, but the fact that so many kids/grandmothers (recently saw 12 year old girl in KFC talking iPhone shop with a complete stranger, a 60+ year old grandmother) have the iPhone, it will probably catch on...just a numbers thing.

Upvote 0
The iPhone platform is too fragmented. It won't survive if they don't get this under control. You have the new 4 with the full iOS 4, the 3GS with a s

The 3GS will also have the full iOS4, the 3G will have iOS4 sans multitasking, and the original iPhone will be stuck on iOS3. This puts +90% of the iphones on the newest OS. This is significant compared to the 32% of android phones using the newest version.

Actually depends on how you look at it. And since the 3g won't get the full version of ios, well, doesn't really count, now does it? 3gs won't get vidchat. so if you took it by model, it would be 50/50, by currently in use, it would be more like 40/60. A lot of people didn't see a reason to upgrade from 3g to 3gs, and, a lot of people won't see a reason to go to iPhone4, unless they want vid chat. And with only 4 models vs androids fifty something, that's sayin' something.

Upvote 0
Actually depends on how you look at it. And since the 3g won't get the full version of ios, well, doesn't really count, now does it? 3gs won't get vidchat. so if you took it by model, it would be 50/50, by currently in use, it would be more like 40/60. A lot of people didn't see a reason to upgrade from 3g to 3gs, and, a lot of people won't see a reason to go to iPhone4, unless they want vid chat. And with only 4 models vs androids fifty something, that's sayin' something.

Sure, you can look at it that way, but my response was to a joke referencing the criticism of Android being a fragmented platform to develop on. The 3G not having multitasking, while annoying to 3G owners, won't affect developers creating apps that will work with 90% of the devices. And the 3GS not having vidchat has nothing to do with the OS. That is a hardware and software issue.

There are many positives to the Android system, but the fragmented nature of having so many manufacturers and phones creates real problems for software developers. That's not to say those problems can't be overcome, but it is an advantage that Apple's system, like it or not, has.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones