• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone killer? yay/nay?

iPhone Killer?

• Yes, it kills the iPhone

Votes: 75 84.3%
  • NO, the iPhone is the best

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters
No way VZ is getting the iPhone after the stunts they have pulled of late.

Commericals attacking both AT&Thieves network, and the iPhone with the catch phrase "Theres a map for that".

Prior to this, I would have thought VZ had a shot at getting it sometime next year. After all, Apple did go to Big Red with the phone first, but they didnt like the terms and sent Apple packing.

Upvote 0
I am an Apple iPhone 3G user. I may be in the minority, but my rankings will come out a bit different. I am not impressed with the Droid. It is rather bulky and larger than I want when you slide out the keyboard. After using the iPhones virtual keyboard, I can match most with speed of word. The droid might have had an edge with the keyboard if they would have beveled the keys so you could feel them without looking. The smooth feel gives me no better edge to type without looking than a virtual keyboard. If you would have tested me on a Blackberry a few years ago, you would have been amazed.

My other gripe about the Droid is that it doesn't utilize 2 finger touch on the screen. Seems pretty crappy, when reviews claim the Euro model does.

Last gripe about the Droid. OREO effect. Poor design, much like the PRE, has allowed for poor hardware. There is a great deal of oreo effect with my brothers Droid. And that is out of the box effect. Poor! LOL - Also, the DPad is lame, but yet again I didn't play any games with it. Perhaps a little PSP Go feel to it :)

The iPhone won't die, because it is a far superior model to most anything out there. It definitely needs more ability to multi-task, but Apple won't budge on that because it gives it the advantage in speed. What kills the iPhone, and what has drawn me to a Hero in the next month or two, or Dragon if I can hold off closer to Christmas, is that ATT truly SUCKS! ATT is what has killed a very good phone (iPhone 3G) for me. If Apple would get the iPhone onto Verizon, I think the iPhone would be claiming more heads in the phone war than anything else.

So, my call is not death to the iPhone, but death to ATT, the most overrated carrier of them all....

:(
1. It's big when you slide out the keyboard... Oh my god... Really? It takes up more space when you slide the keyboard out? Whoa... everything I learned about matter is... true.

2. It has multi-touch. Why has some of the multi-touch features been disabled on the Droid... no idea. Will they unlock it? I hope so, if not it'll get hacked.

3. What the hell is the Oreo Effect? You like cookies or something? I think it looks pretty cool. A lot of people knock it for looking "dated" with its "edges" instead of being entirely contour. I like the edge look, I'm sorry you like the flattened dough look. But if my phone looks like the Bat Tumbler while yours look like the UFO of some 60's/70's movie... then so be it.

4. ... No idea WTF is with the Navi pad. I would've definitely liked bigger keys (and beveled a little like you said).

5. I don't believe the iPhone will die either, but it's not because it's superior (it was superior, but it's not looking like that unless they come out with a 5th Gen with better specs). It won't die because of the user base it acquired, the polish done with the OS after years of work on it, and iTunes/App Store.

Upvote 0
No way VZ is getting the iPhone after the stunts they have pulled of late.

Commericals attacking both AT&Thieves network, and the iPhone with the catch phrase "Theres a map for that".

Prior to this, I would have thought VZ had a shot at getting it sometime next year. After all, Apple did go to Big Red with the phone first, but they didnt like the terms and sent Apple packing.
Yeah, but that's more of an attack on ATT than on the iPhone.

... Their DroidDoes ads on the other hand... Now that's a slap in the face. If VZ gets the iPhone within a year from now, it'll look like they ran away with their tail between their legs because their Android push failed.

Upvote 0
A couple thoughts after having one for the last 10 hours:

1) Music functionality absolutely without doubt SUCKS!!!!

2) I'm a tech person and I still found myself running to Google for basic crap as getting my laptop to recognize and mount it when I plugged it into it.

Either of those says the iPhone will do just fine. Together.....only techies will like this thing (fortunately I'm one).

Still deciding whether I want to keep it or go back to the iPhone. I like the freedom....I also like my music and don't appreciate not being able to do basic crap I've been used to being able to do.

Upvote 0
2. It has multi-touch. Why has some of the multi-touch features been disabled on the Droid... no idea. Will they unlock it? I hope so, if not it'll get hacked.

Google Accepts Not to Use Multi-Touch at Apple's Request, Source Says - Apple allegedly told the search giant to leave Multi-Touch out of Android - Softpedia

Is probably why. Im surprised though, given all thats happened between the two companies that Google is still honoring this request. Its only a matter of time before they just do it.

Upvote 0
come on guys... Verizon was doing the idont campaign and then released the droid with the same processor the iPhone had 6mos ago... I come from 10+ yrs of winmo and what a disappointment that ps has become. l am loving the hero and looking coward to the droid but disappointed to see some of the basics left out that HTC filled in nicely with sense and only 1.5 it will be interesting to see what they come up with on the HTC passion which looks to be the device I hope to end up with for a while.
But no way the droid comes close to the iPhone. the camera, video and multimedia aspects suck in comparison.

The quality and consistency of the Android apps destroy winmo but Apple destroys Android in that category. No one hates MS more than Apple but at least Apple has better Outlook desktop integration than android or palm pre, which by default makes It a better business device since the majority of business users use Outlook...

Android cut and paste is a mess and that is basic functionality... one thing most disappointing to me about all platforms outside of winmo is the lack of a native tasks app with reminders and snooze intervals. one of the basic tenants to time management is sweeping your tasks and to-do items off of your calendar.

imo all platforms have glaring issues, but for anyone to say the iPhone handset experience (with network quality being equal) is not superior to any other handset out there is delusional at best.

Do you have a Droid? I have the 3gs and Droid and the camera is better on the Droid and so is the video recorder. If your going off that crap you have been seeing on youtube dont. Something is going on with the compression. I even uploaded vids back to back from my Droid and Iphone. Those youtube vids really do a disservice to the video quality of the Droid. Thats fact dont really care if you agree or not :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Google Accepts Not to Use Multi-Touch at Apple's Request, Source Says - Apple allegedly told the search giant to leave Multi-Touch out of Android - Softpedia

Is probably why. Im surprised though, given all thats happened between the two companies that Google is still honoring this request. Its only a matter of time before they just do it.
Oh no... Google... but you've been doing so good until now. Sticking it to Microsoft left and right... only to kneel down before Apple. How the mighty has fallen so fast.

Upvote 0
So what if it has a fancy overlay.. it's still android.
Yes but it's not stock Android, and therefor is not the "Google Experience". To my knowledge there are certain guidlines that must be followed for a phone to get that label. HTC's phones with multi touch are not labeled the "google experience". To be frank, I'd rather not get the Google experience. If you get a customised phone then it's basically Android and more rather than just standard Android.

And really who gives a crap if Apple wishes Google not use multi touch. It mustve been some really nice letter they wrote.

Oh and I think the iPhone will end up dying out in few years, with Android developing further, as well as other mobile operating systems (like Maemo), Apple will have to do something great to maintain the market share it has. That means multi tasking, and allowing customisation, and maybe a new look device instead of the same thing we've been seeing from the start?

Upvote 0
So what if it has a fancy overlay.. it's still android.
That fancy overlay is proprietary to HTC, it was also the first CDMA Android. HTC put a great deal of customization on that phone, so while it may still be Android, Google didnt do ALL the work.

Look at it like this. Its like buying a car, then taking that car and letting MTV "Pimp your ride". While very much the same car, its also quite different from the stock version.

Sense UI is a bit more then just a fancy overlay. Come to think of it. Google "borrowed" ideas like facebook integration from HTC. But thats another thread.

Upvote 0
Yes but it's not stock Android, and therefor is not the "Google Experience". To my knowledge there are certain guidlines that must be followed for a phone to get that label. HTC's phones with multi touch are not labeled the "google experience". To be frank, I'd rather not get the Google experience. If you get a customised phone then it's basically Android and more rather than just standard Android.
They say thats not true. Which is why newer models of the HTC Hero are branded "with Google" now. Only the first wave of Sprint Heros didnt have that, the newer ones all do.

Upvote 0
A couple thoughts after having one for the last 10 hours:

1) Music functionality absolutely without doubt SUCKS!!!!

2) I'm a tech person and I still found myself running to Google for basic crap as getting my laptop to recognize and mount it when I plugged it into it.

Either of those says the iPhone will do just fine. Together.....only techies will like this thing (fortunately I'm one).

Still deciding whether I want to keep it or go back to the iPhone. I like the freedom....I also like my music and don't appreciate not being able to do basic crap I've been used to being able to do.

Check out a program called double twist to sync all your music. There are also great media players free to download.

Its not the Droids fault you didnt read the instructions.

Upvote 0
i dont own a iphone or a droid but have been doing a lot and i mean a lot of research on both phones. ive used both of them and heres what i think. RIGHT NOW!! android is amazing and iphones os is amazing the DROID will certainly not be an i phone killer. the hardware is nothing amazing in fact i will say that strictly as a device without an os loaded on it the iphone is a better phone just use one use the touch screen iphone looks nicer it feels nicer in the hand it doesn't weigh 20 lbs (i held the droid today and was immediately turned off by the weight) NOW do i think androids os will kill the iphone absolutely not. do i think it has the potential to kill the iphone or take the majority of the market share i dont doubt it in the least i think that this os has enormous potential. THE DROID ITSELF i would say is a terrible phone its heavy the keyboard is poorly designed and feels like crap ive owned a sidekick for 4 years and even though the kick as a phone was always a bit subpar the one thing it did amazingly well every single time was the keyboard and this keyboard is trash. the camera is okay but compared to iphone its also not very good. im kind of rambling but lets just say this.

ANDROID 2.0 2 THUMBS UP
IPHONE OSX 2 THUMBS UP
IPHONE HARDWARE 2 THUMBS UP
DROID HARDWARE 1.5 THUMBS UP

so in closing i will be buying an i phone and in a year or so when there is a phone worth using android on i will probably end up switching lol...

Upvote 0
i dont own a iphone or a droid but have been doing a lot and i mean a lot of research on both phones. ive used both of them and heres what i think. RIGHT NOW!! android is amazing and iphones os is amazing the DROID will certainly not be an i phone killer. the hardware is nothing amazing in fact i will say that strictly as a device without an os loaded on it the iphone is a better phone just use one use the touch screen iphone looks nicer it feels nicer in the hand it doesn't weigh 20 lbs (i held the droid today and was immediately turned off by the weight) NOW do i think androids os will kill the iphone absolutely not. do i think it has the potential to kill the iphone or take the majority of the market share i dont doubt it in the least i think that this os has enormous potential. THE DROID ITSELF i would say is a terrible phone its heavy the keyboard is poorly designed and feels like crap ive owned a sidekick for 4 years and even though the kick as a phone was always a bit subpar the one thing it did amazingly well every single time was the keyboard and this keyboard is trash. the camera is okay but compared to iphone its also not very good. im kind of rambling but lets just say this.

ANDROID 2.0 2 THUMBS UP
IPHONE OSX 2 THUMBS UP
IPHONE HARDWARE 2 THUMBS UP
DROID HARDWARE 1.5 THUMBS UP

so in closing i will be buying an i phone and in a year or so when there is a phone worth using android on i will probably end up switching lol...
I think the droid Hardware should get 2 thumbs up if the iPhone does. The iPhone has the hardware but I don't think the software utilises it to it's best. The iPhone is incapable of multi tasking, but the processor seems as if it is designed to do exactly that. On the hardware side the main thing I've heard complaints about is the keyboard. Sure the keyboard is crap but it's a thin phone, thinner than a lot of phones that dont have keyboards. And other aspects of it's hardware beat the iPhone. It has a larger screen of a far higher resolution and apparently a very sturdy metal exterior. But I'm still not sure about whether I'd prefer the X10 because I don't want a keyboard if I'm not going to use it.

Upvote 0
Too many fanboys out there. They will always find a reason to love apple products.

The iphone is definetly not better though:

- Both of these devices are obviously mobile phones, if your service provider doesn't provide service for 90% of the country (AT&T) then your already behind. AT&T customers are paying roughly the same price but not getting the same service by a long shot! So you own a iphone I am happy it works for you ...just don't leave your home town. There's a map for that.

- The Droid has the iphone beat in hardware hands down. Bigger screen with more than twice the pixels, removable battery and memory, a physical keyboard, and a better camera.

- In all fairness the tech reviews I have seen put the iphone ahead of the droid in web browsing by a eye straining 1/10th of a second. I can deal with that.

- Just the fact that the droid 2 weeks before is was released was already being compared to the iphones equal is a severe compliment because the iphone is established.

- The iphone definetly has a ton more apps than the droid atm....but lets be realistic; how many can you use or put on a device anyway? I could lose hours just browsing the more than 10,000 that google has right now. Besides...you are aware who makes most of and the best apps for the iphone anyway right? yup..google.

- When the iphone came out one of the biggest complaints I've heard was that it did not record video..then a month later a model came out that did. Is this not a slap in the face or what? This is because Apple is in the business of selling products (like the iphone) and google is in the marketing/advertising business. This is why google put one of the best apps you will ever find for a mobile device, google maps, on the droid for FREE! Backed by verizon's service (which will be 4G next year)...it's pretty clear who the winner is-

DROID

The End.

Upvote 0
If anyone thinks the Droid is the iPhone Killer they are crazy. The main reason will be eas of use. The Droid is not all that easy to use. Something as simple as plugging the Droid into the computer and having it recognized as a mass storage device was a pain. It should be completely intuitive and recognized.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid. I never had an iPhone. When a 4 year old can use an iPhone and a relative techno junky can't use the Droid, there is a flaw. Will android ever become more user friendly, yes. Will it be iPhone user friendly, no.

Android itself will put the iPhone in its place. The sheer volume of devices and owners will easily outnumber iPhone in a year or two.

Upvote 0
If anyone thinks the Droid is the iPhone Killer they are crazy. The main reason will be eas of use. The Droid is not all that easy to use. Something as simple as plugging the Droid into the computer and having it recognized as a mass storage device was a pain. It should be completely intuitive and recognized.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid. I never had an iPhone. When a 4 year old can use an iPhone and a relative techno junky can't use the Droid, there is a flaw. Will android ever become more user friendly, yes. Will it be iPhone user friendly, no.

Android itself will put the iPhone in its place. The sheer volume of devices and owners will easily outnumber iPhone in a year or two.
Yea exactly. And the iPhone is very basic sort of phone that is designed to be able to be used by anyone. Android is more complex, simply look at the home screen with it's widgets, or the way the top bar slides down. Added functionality but comes with that is that it's harder to use for people not so great with tech. And besides, Android is still a rough diamond with some kinks to work out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones