• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iphone prices with contract dropping, anyone else notice?

Zegami

Jun 1, 2014
I remember back when Iphone base would be 199$ with contract up until the next model - but ive been noticing just these past few months at my local radioshack (which i hear is doing horribly with stock prices under 1$/share) but few months ago it was only 99$ for a brand new iphone 5s via contract - then last month it was 79$...and now, 0$ down for a brand new iphone 5s with contract, no trade in required, nothing...LOL WTH

its like androids eating up the market and they trying to do whatever they can to get business, I guess the whole vanity thing doesn't last long when people are finding nicer/bigger/faster devices for less money... lol

i still cant get over how this guy at my work would brag nonstop about features of his iphones 5s, and when i showed him those features on my galaxy nexus years ago he would say "well those features aren't really important, that's why apple doesn't bother implementing them."

I remember back when Iphone base would be 199$ with contract up until the next model - but ive been noticing just these past few months at my local radioshack (which i hear is doing horribly with stock prices under 1$/share) but few months ago it was only 99$ for a brand new iphone 5s via contract - then last month it was 79$...and now, 0$ down for a brand new iphone 5s with contract, no trade in required, nothing...LOL WTH

its like androids eating up the market and they trying to do whatever they can to get business, I guess the whole vanity thing doesn't last long when people are finding nicer/bigger/faster devices for less money... lol

i still cant get over how this guy at my work would brag nonstop about features of his iphones 5s, and when i showed him those features on my galaxy nexus years ago he would say "well those features aren't really important, that's why apple doesn't bother implementing them."

or it could be that it is because the new iPhone is only 2 months away from launching..... which is typical.

Personally my fav is how Android fanbois used to bash Apple for the non removable battery and no sd slot......but now it's ok to have those two items on an android phone....

Upvote 0
Personally my fav is how Android fanbois used to bash Apple for the non removable battery and no sd slot......but now it's ok to have those two items on an android phone....

Actually, that still bugs me ;)

I could understand the non-removable battery if it meant my phone could resist water better but otherwise, not being able to pull the battery when the phone ceases up because of some dodgy app (who 'nother problem there with quality vetting - or rather, it's total absence - on the Play Store) is a PITA.

As for no SD card: the only reason for that is it allows the manufacturer to charge $100 for an increase in storage that would otherwise cost the customer maybe $15.

Re iPhone's getting cheaper: I'm sure Apple do everything they can to encourage the networks to offer iPhones as cheaply as possible. Particularly right before the release of the new phone when sales traditionally go off a cliff.

Upvote 0

I wish all Android devices had a removable battery, the SD slot isn't that much of a worry to me though.

I need a removable battery, with all the flashing and me sometimes being a heavy user I usually need a second battery, if not an extended one. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones