• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is anyone going "unprotected"?

I'm using no protection for my phone right now... I'd say its a bit like having sex without protection...

We went to Las Vegas over the weekend to celebrate a couple of bachelors' last few days on Earth. Much alcohol was consumed...

I was walking out to catch a cab at the MGM, phone in hand, suddenly it shot out of my hand and landed on the bricks/concrete where the cabs drive to pick you up in front of the lobby. the phone EXPLODED into three pieces, the battery cover flew off, the battery came out and the screen all lay there.

I picked it back up, put it back together, turned it on... everything seemed fine.

That was Sunday... Its Thursday now. I still can't find any scratches or dings on the case or glass. The explosion must have absorbed the shock. All four corners are still very shiny and after wiping off fingerprints the glass is smooth and clear.

I'll be going over to the VZW store today to see what they have in stock... Got lucky on that first girl.

Upvote 0
Naked. Prints, front and back, are prolific, but eh, a good microfiber shines it up. After seeing the scratch torture test videos I'm not worried about the screen. More worried about scratches to the front "glossy" border edges. Coming from the Eris, which was built like a rubberized tank, never worried. I'm pretty careful w/it, though, so hopefully no disasters on the horizon.

Upvote 0
Me too, that's why I only keep my phone in the pocket. Nothing else, not even a stick of gum.

Beware bud, I scratched my screen from the phone being in an empty pocket in my jeans..I was on the same thought process as you "phone and phone only in the pocket and ill be fine.." Get a screen protector or your definitely running the risk of getting a scratch

Upvote 0
Beware bud, I scratched my screen from the phone being in an empty pocket in my jeans..I was on the same thought process as you "phone and phone only in the pocket and ill be fine.." Get a screen protector or your definitely running the risk of getting a scratch

This is ridiculous.

Of course you did not scratch the screen from your empty pocket.

It's glass. Glass is hard. If it scratched from being in your pocket, it's because something else got in the pocket with it - sand, a rock, something like that.

Upvote 0
With my iPhone, I put a cover on it, but it looked hazy so what's the point? Now, I just enjoy it. I try to be responsible by always having my phone face in to my left pocket and always put anything else in my right pocket. And to protect from dust, it sounds anal, but I just turn my pocket inside out most mornings and dab duct tape on it to pull out any dust or lint.

I want to enjoy the clear screen and not have it hazy in the interest of having a good screen. Doesn't make sense to me. If it gets a scratch or two, big deal?!

Upvote 0
" I'm out there and LOVING IT!"

amazing Seinfeld reference. :D

i too am going Kramer. at least until the extended battery comes out. then i'll look into cases and whatnot.

went to the Verizon store over the weekend and girl tried to sell me screen protectors. she says "there's 3 in a pack and they usually last 6 months or so!" and i'm thinking if that's the case, then when i do actually need another one, i won't be able to find the other two. so i passed on it. especially at $12.99 for 3 thin sheets of plastic. might as well get some Saran Wrap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones