• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is isolating voices in video possible?

A

Android Question

I was in China last week and picked up an P9 phone.

Someone from Huawei told me that if you take a video of a bunch of people talking (like at a party or dinner table for example) -- when you play it back, you can isolate what each person is saying by clicking on them in the video.

That is a great feature that I want to test, but I can't get it to work on my phone. What am I doing wrong? Is this a real feature?

Thank you!!!

Sort of... It sounds like something that they were demoing recently.

The trick is that not only was the video taken with a 360 degree camera, it was also recorded with a 360 array of microphones... So that when the video is played back in a VR headset, the directional sound syncs with the video playback.

Upvote 0
I'm not even aware of technology like this available for computers that are capable of high res video and multi-channel audio, much less any smartphone. Sounds (pun intended) more like something from a Hollywood movie.
Audio pros have multi-track capable set-ups that run pretty sophisticated software, and while they can work with separate voices those are recordings made using different sessions or with separate microphones. The single, minimal quality microphones in our phones are hardly in that category, plus even if you could add multiple, external, self-powered microphones to your phone, the processing resources necessary to be able to record a video with synced, multi-track audio would drain a smartphone battery within minutes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones