• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it possible to use USB mass storage instead of MTP?

So your suggestion, is it something like move the files to the SD card, extract the SD card and then plug the SD card directly to your computer?
You tried this solution >

Restart your Pc > Go to BIOS using some keys (F8,F11)> In BIOS> Go to Advanced > Go to USB CONFIGURATION by scrolling with keyboard keys > Check if the USB 2.0 controller is enabled or not > If not then enable it and then save the setting and restart?

Upvote 0

Well, I'm really unlucky I guess. My laptops down arrow doesn't work, I'm using another keyboard. But on the BIOS menu, it doesn't recognize the keyboard. So I can't press the down arrow when I'm in BIOS. I tried the NUM section but it started to buzz, so that didn't work either. When I can't press down, I can't get to the USB section.
I guess there's nothing I can do about this now :D Really though, thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm really unlucky I guess. My laptops down arrow doesn't work, I'm using another keyboard. But on the BIOS menu, it doesn't recognize the keyboard. So I can't press the down arrow when I'm in BIOS. I tried the NUM section but it started to buzz, so that didn't work either. When I can't press down, I can't get to the USB section.
I guess there's nothing I can do about this now :D Really though, thank you for your help.
Well that's really sad then ,hard luck ,key in your hand but can't put it into the lock lol , no worries I hope you be able to get it done with share it :)

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I've just experimented something and confirmed it. The reason was the number of files.
There were 670 screenshots and it took about 10 minutes to copy them. Then I created a rar file. So it became only one file. Then when I tried to copy that rar file (which contained those exact 670 files) it took only 5-6 seconds.
So... It's good that I know this right now :D

Reactions: Sudhanshu kumar
Upvote 0
There are two issues preventing the use of USB Mass Storage on Android V4 and later:
1. Support for UMS was removed from most stock Android ROMS.
There are a few work-around Apps for this problem, that are supposed to provide UMS mode on devices that don't support it natively, but all of them require Rooting the device, and there's no guaranty that these apps will work on any device other than the one the app developer wrote it for. And unfortunately, all of these apps, if they work at all, only let you access the external SD card, not the device's Internal storage, so they are already half-crippled even if they work at all.
2. Google changed permissions for the external SD card, making it "read only" to user apps, except when using MTP. This can be worked around, by changing a few lines of code in the Platform.XML file on the device, but changing this file requires Root access, and the published workaround is only for Android V4, and maybe V5. The platform.xml file in V6 and V7 is substantially different, and I can't even see the lines of code where the revision is supposed to be made. So unless you Root the phone, and install a third-party ROM like LineageOS or CyanogenMod, it looks pretty hopeless to get UMS Mass Storage Mode working on devices running Lolipop or Nougat. If someone has found a work-around, please let us know! MTP SUCKS!

Upvote 0
It's actually not true that the removeable card is "read only" to user apps. They loosened the over-tight security of 4.4 in Android 5, allowing apps to request write access to the whole card (as opposed to one folder granted by the OS, which they can do anyway), and then lets the user decide whether to grant it or not. However, it relies on the developer taking this up. Hence on my tablet (running 5.1) I have some user apps that can write to SD and others that can't, depending on whether the developer bothered or not.

However, that's all a bit off-topic from the actual questions in this thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones