• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it really worth upgrading?

As much as I'm a spec-whore and drool looking at all these new devices, if given the chance, I probably wouldn't upgrade. I'm still more than a year off from an upgrade, but I'm in no rush. All these phones have nice specs, but at the end of the day, my Desire is fine for me, and as long as ROMs are still pumped out for it, I won't be that far behind the curve as far as software goes.

I would love to have a tablet, but honestly, tablets haven't progressed to the point yet where I'm convinced buying one would be a wise investment. I disagree somewhat with the idea that they're a fad, and I do believe they will carve out a niche market, but at the moment they aren't going to replace either the laptop or the smartphone in many areas. Get back to me when it starts to get close to replicating the experience of a true computer. Because honestly my MBP isn't too heavy to use while I lay back and my Desire covers portability.

Upvote 0
OP, your not alone!!

I have had my desire exactly 12 months. Bought it offline as i hate contracts! plus i get 30% discount on ku o2 tariff.

In terms of upgrading, i would love to have a sensation, but my desire is perfect for me. It was a powerhouse a year ago and it still is...

I think my next andriod phone will be next june. Just imagine what the desire 3 will have instore for us all....

Upvote 0
I would love to have a tablet, but honestly, tablets haven't progressed to the point yet where I'm convinced buying one would be a wise investment. I disagree somewhat with the idea that they're a fad, and I do believe they will carve out a niche market

They were a fad initially. The first time they flopped completely. The apple re-released it, as if they invented it. It remains to be seen if its another fad or not I think.

Upvote 0
I reckon I've sorted my upgrade. If I don't succumb to the lure of the Evo 3D I will wait for the Ice Cream Sandwich handsets to appear toward the end of the year and see what goodies they offer.

Going for an Android 4.0 device makes the most sense if I'm going to be in another 18 month contract, especially with Google ensuring all ICS devices will receive support for at least 18 months :)

I wonder if the spec of Honeycomb tablets will allow an upgrade to ICS? I would imagine they would as ICS is more to do with creating a single Android interface that it is a step up of features (I believe)

Upvote 0
I don't know much about what handsets are coming out, but with what's out right now I wouldn't upgrade. Eventually the desire will outdate and we'll see that as the phones specs get better apps will cater for the newer phones ability.

The only thing the desire is missing is a reverse camera :( but I can still perv on my girlfriend using google talk ;-)

Upvote 0
Helpful thread!! I am seriously think of keeping my Desire and going with Giff Gaff. On Virgin Mobile at present and can upgrade in September but VM 3g is useless in Northern Ireland. They run on T-Mobile and they told me the T-Mobile/Orange marriage will be sorted by September and so should have a better coverage then. I have tried a Giff Gaff sim card this month and have kept within my minutes limit so I am tempted to stick with them and save myself

Upvote 0
Glad I ain't due an upgrade until next May, little out at the moment I would see as being a major step up from the Desire. Considering it is a year or so old it still holds its place in the market, which is unusual in today's hi-tech world.

Hopefully in a years time there will be some decent advances (which I think is inevitable) and an upgrade will be worth it.

And to think, I was weary about taking a mobile on a 2 year deal, thought it would be too long and I would be wanting a new handset by now, but I still love my Desire. Still find something to do on it everyday.

Upvote 0
Dudditz, you're right.

It's hard to actually think where they will go next with phones, other than improving on what's already there e.g. the front facing camera, better camera quality etc, which has already been done. Better battery life would be sweet, and for Orange to give me better coverage and more data allowance. I can operate my MacBook via my HTC Desire wirelessly from anywhere! That was the biggest bonus for me.

Upvote 0
Would imagine if 3D really takes off then this will somehow be incorporated into phones, although I personally would not see a huge benefit to that (although that's not to say it wouldn't work/be pretty damn cool).

Hard to know where phones will be going though, back when I got my first mobile (BT Cellnet*) if someone had have told me that in a decades (give or take a few years?) we would have colour, touch sensitive, HD screens and you could find an app to do almost anything, as well as deal with your e-mails or basically run your life through it, I would have told you you were mad crazy. And yet look at us now...

*This badboy :D
x270e48e.jpg

Upvote 0
Ahahahahaahahahha, what a beauty she is. I had a similar style Motorola.

I used the Nintendo 3D for about 4 minutes before getting an headache. I'm extremely put off by 3D in handheld devices at the moment. 3D would be a direction, but apart from novelty value I don't see it being worth it. I would like to think they will try to implement voice activation a bit better. Rather than technology the services need to be improved from the providers, for example I can download IPlayer, but on the go with my data plan/connection speed it's just not feasible to stream. Now I could sit at home and watch IPlayer through my wifi, but I have a computer and TV. It would be a bit pointless to sit infront of my big screen watching Eastenders on my phone.

Upvote 0
Is it 4.0? I thought it was 2.4

To be honest, I don't know but it's supposed to be a UI upgrade to Honeycomb to allow it to adapt itself between tablets and phones, so I'm guessing it'll be Android 4.0 but Google haven't confirmed.

99% sure I will wait for an ICS device, which actually isn't too long as they are due to arrive toward the end of the year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones