• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it safe?

(Title from the movie "Marathon Man")

Has anyone heard of someone getting into a pickle by using their Android device to connect to internet banking? I am very, very paranoid of such things and only use my Ubuntu partition on my laptop to connect to my bank and never, ever use windows for obvious reasons. I would like to be able to do minor transactions on my Note but have no idea if it is safe to do so. My phone is not rooted and does not have a firewall or any other such apps installed and I have not had a problem with the play store. At least, not yet...

Do I need to worry so much?

I tried to resist internet banking for years, but due to living out in the "sticks" I have no choice really. Unless I want to spend a fortune driving back and forth to the bank. Also, I take it you mean never to use public, or any wifi outside of my home network? If yes I think I understand why. I realise nothing is perfectly safe but am hoping it is a relatively safe thing to do on rare occasions. I do not plan on making a steady habit of it.

Thanks for responding!

Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0
Years and years ago, I got over the fear of online shopping by convincing myself that it’s not any different than handing my credit card to an actual clerk, who is nothing more than a complete stranger that happens to have a face. Eventually, that led to allowing myself to try online banking on my PC. Finally, the easiest hurdle was when the droid came around and the same banks offered the same access my PC already had.

Upvote 0
If your bank has an app, I'd stick to that, and never use WiFi connections for that. Apart from that I don't know how to make it more secure. Personally I never do banking transactions over the internet, whether desktop or mobile.

Use your bank app if you can and if you use your mobile browser make sure it is a URL YOU typed in and not a link you clicked. And when you sign in to your bank from ANY browser make sure it is HTTPS and not HTTP. Small note: I think that as far as wifi is concerned...use only YOUR home wifi. NOT Starbucks, McDonald's or some random unlocked wifi from a neighbor somewhere in your building.

Years and years ago, I got over the fear of online shopping by convincing myself that it

Upvote 0
I run my life on line, and Smart phones are a blessing. I would not use a public WiFi since I understand they are not that secure. I am with First Direct here in the UK which is only an internet and phone bank. Been with them for over 15 years without a problem (in fact they get the highest rating of any UK bank). My main credit card is from Capital One, they have some of the best security in the business. When there have been problems in the past they have picked it up and dealt with it very promptly. So relax and go for it who wants to wast time in a bank branch.

Upvote 0
I would not use a public WiFi since I understand they are not that secure
Completely insecure and wide open to exploits is closer to the truth. I use the free W0Fi in a bar in Trrevieja, as they use WPA2/PSK and change the password monthly. You have to buy at leae a couple of drinks before they give you the password. Still don't do banking from there, just Emails and general stuff.

Upvote 0
My bank has an app that I use for checking balance, bill pay, and mobile deposits. I only use the app on 4G when in public or WIFI when at home.

The part that scares me is online stores and services that store your credit card information. This is why I believe you should not use your debit card for online services that do not give you a choice of not storing the card for future purchases. I only use a credit card for those transactions or if at a restaurant where my card leaves my sight. A credit card gives you more control of disputing charges and cancelling the card without directly affecting your bank account.

I had an issue with Microsoft Live where someone overseas hacked my account and charged $200 in Microsoft Points to my card stored in Microsoft's servers. This happened to be my debit card. Microsoft caught it the same day and suspended my account to prevent future charges. It still, however, took over a week to have the money credited back to my bank account.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the excellent suggestions all. gtbarry makes a very good point. I never let my credit/bank cards out of my sight and do not even let others handle them any longer. I insist on doing the transaction myself and examine the card reader or bank machine for any signs of tampering. Even though I am covered against such kinds of fraud I do everything I can do deny the crooks their ill-gotten gains. I guess I'm old fashioned that way. It surprises me how so many figure they are covered and that it doesn't cost them anything. It most certainly does, and in more ways than one.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I insist on doing the transaction myself and examine the card reader or bank machine for any signs of tampering.

You mean, after a nice dinner at a table at the back of the restaurant, instead of leaving your card atop the table for the waitress to march up front and process, you actually follow her, horn in at their workstation, examine the equipment, then insist on running their equipment all by yourself?

Upvote 0
You mean, after a nice dinner at a table at the back of the restaurant, instead of leaving your card atop the table for the waitress to march up front and process, you actually follow her, horn in at their workstation, examine the equipment, then insist on running their equipment all by yourself?
If that is what it takes, yes. I would indeed. Mind you, for such things I prefer to pay cash. More old fashioned silliness I'm sure, but most folks still seem happy to get real money instead of a slip of paper. Spares me all that 'horning in' too. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones