• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is LG getting out of the mobile phone manufacturing business?

Is LG getting out of the mobile phone manufacturing business?

• yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
LG announced its departure from the mobile industry in early April, but it took some time to wind down operations. Today is the last day of production for LG phones and tablets, according to sources from Korea.

For the time being, the corporation will continue to support current devices. Premium models will receive three years of software support; for additional information, see the Android 11 upgrade timetable. Some products (such as the Q-series phones) will receive Android 12, while the most recent luxury variants are slated to receive Android 13. Users will be able to get after-sale support for four years from the device's manufacturing date.

What do you think about this?

What is there to think about?
The devices will (supposedly) be supported as long or about as long as the industry standard seems to be, like all the other manufacturers.

I think that if this is true, then that is more than fair.

These devices are all basically meant to last for 2-4 years, then be replaced.

I never owned an LG device, only had a few run ins with other people's.
What I found was not remarkable, not more appealing than any other, but not horrible all around.

I was not a huge fan of the UI, but IMO it was still better (at least easier) than Samsung and iphone.
(I loathe the UI of an iphone.)

It sucks that they have to leave the market, but hopefully they will survive through other products.

Upvote 0
That was about a year ago now, LG pulling out of the smart-phone business.

Yeah, I mean really...
wasn't LG known for refigerators, washers and dryers long before they made phones?

This is kind of like a Mitsubishi brand apple pie to me.

...and fridge-freezers and microwaves. That's all I've really seen of LG in recent years. In the late '80s I had a Goldstar VHS. LG does mean "Lucky Goldstar".

Samsung on the other hand I think makes pretty much anything. Like Mitsubishi, they may not make apple pie, but they may well have had something to do with the ingredients, production, and packaging of it.

Packaging-Beer.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I mean really...
wasn't LG known for refigerators, washers and dryers long before they made phones?
Nothing unusual there: have a look at the list of things Samsung sells (which includes ships, buildings and life insurance). Nokia were a paper milling company originally, and Google used to be a search engine before they switched their main business to advertising ;).

Upvote 0
That was about a year ago now, LG pulling out of the smart-phone business.

...and fridge-freezers and microwaves. That's all I've really seen of LG in recent years. In the late '80s I had a Goldstar VHS. LG does mean "Lucky Goldstar".

Samsung on the other hand I think makes pretty much anything. Like Mitsubishi, they may not make apple pie, but they may well have had something to do with the ingredients, production, and packaging of it.

View attachment 161295

I know of the Goldstar brand, but had never known what LG stood for.
Thanks!

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I'm bummed out LG has opted to bail out of the smartphone market. It's been a significant phone manufacturer with a long history, going back decades. Now that Samsung is dominating the phone market, it's essentially just Samsung vs. Apple shoving their own respective business models down our throats (i.e -- no more replaceable batteries, buy a new phone instead), with all the other, smaller manufacturers doing what they can just to stay profitable. So when yet another one leaves the market, that's not good for us (the consumer). Diversity is always better, it keeps innovation alive, stifles vendor-lock, and more, not less, competition allows us to pick and choose what we each want and need, not just whatever some corporation tells us we can have.
There are of course a lot of people who prefer Apple's more limited options of iPhone models and are perfectly content to use them in a highly curated and restricted walled-garden, but that's always going to be an unsustainable business model in the long run that excludes a majority. Sure Apple has more disposable income than a lot of nations now but there's also a bit of tech industry history where Bill Gates had to give a check to Steve Jobs to save Apple from going bankrupt. (1997 I think? Just a few years before I got a LG flip-phone).

Upvote 0
I too am very annoyed at the prospects of non-replaceable batteries.

As anyone knows, I am one to believe that these things (ie. Google) are not manufactured with the customer in mind.

Non-replaceable batteries mean multiple things to different people.

But my current biggest worry about them is that if you cannot remove the battery, then there can always be something running- regardless if we think the device is actually off.

It has been shown that microphones and cameras can be turned on without a customer knowing or ever giving permission.

Having a non disturbable power source just makes the probability of abuse even more probable.

That is why I use certain apps to block these type of things, but even they say that the blocking of system apps is not guaranteed.

I still like a particular one- it has even disappeared from the Play Store (Gee, I wonder why that may be?).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
My current phone is an LG V30 and was kinda looking forward to moving on to another LG in the future. Still, I plan on keeping it until is begins to become problematic.

What's in the future for me?
IDK because Samsung isn't on my radar at the moment.
I'm on my 4th LG phone and also bummed that they may get out of the mobile business. I really don't like Samsung, so if this is the end of LG, I'm considering either Pixel or OnePlus

https://digital-planner.com/weekly/to-do-planner/dark

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones