• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the extra money worth it?

Well even if you get the Maxx, it's still smart to turn off the things you don't need. Like if you never plan to use bluetooth then turn it off. Only plan to use verizon data? turn off the wifi then.

Sure you can keep them all on but then you won't get the most out of your battery .. normal or maxx version.

Of course. The point I was making is that you should be able to run everything that's advertised, along with all of the features you want, and get through a day easily. You shouldn't have to worry about turning a lot of things on and off. On the RAZR, you do. On the MAXX, you don't. With the MAXX, it's nice to know that you can run the phone with everything at full speed and easily get through the day if you should want to.

But some of what you mentioned is common sense for any smartphone. It doesn't turn the RAZR into the MAXX by any stretch of the imagination, but sure, it helps with battery life on all phones. You shouldn't have to do all of that though. Turn off LTE? You should only have to do that if you don't have LTE service. Dimming the screen? Inside, sure. But if you're going to be outside for any amount of time, you want to be able to have the brightness up since the RAZR/MAXX is quite viewable in sunlight compared to most phones. With the RAZR, you'll drain your battery much faster using those two things that are major points of functionality for the device. You shouldn't have to give those up to be able to get through the day. And with the MAXX, you don't. That's why I feel the MAXX is definitely worth the extra money. You can use everything on the phone and not have to worry about battery life throughout the day.

Upvote 0
I'm just giving the user another option to save some money. Not everyone is a power user. Not everyone has money to waste either.

There's nothing wrong with other options. It's one thing if someone doesn't have the extra money, but spending the extra money on the MAXX is far from a waste. Just ask anyone who actually owns it, as this thread clearly demonstrates. ;)

Upvote 0
Speaking of options, you can also buy an extended battery that will give you more than DOUBLE the battery life of the Maxx for 1/5 the price difference.

Surely you mean an external battery rather than an extended battery since the battery in the RAZR isn't removable.

Those are great, and I have a 7000mAh one from New Trent that's fantastic. I've used it several times while traveling when I'm out away from power sources for extended periods. But for general day to day use, there's no way I'm lugging around even a smaller external battery pack. Again, the convenience of the battery in the MAXX is worth the cost difference for me, even with that as an option. I like not having to worry about recharging at all throughout the day. :)

But those external batteries are great to have when needed though.

Upvote 0
I started with a White RAZR. I won it from Twitter. It was a great phone. I don't see how people are going all day with it. I was getting 5 hours TOPS before being in the red. I complained enough and they gave me the MAXX. There is an amazing difference. I have tried to kill the battery and was still at 5% before plugging in. Max brightness. Live wallpaper. Constantly using it. Unplugged at 7am, plugged it back in at 11pm. There is no reason to get the RAZR over the MAXX. Unless it is given to you. At which point, I would sell it and buy the MAXX lol.

Upvote 0
I think that the price on the RAZR is cheaper because it's now harder to sell with the MAXX on the market. I think the MAXX is priced where Verizon (and/or Motorola) wants it to be, and they knocked down the price on the RAZR just so they could actually sell them.

I find it funny that you can get the RAZR in multiple colours, but the MAXX still remains in one colour. Again, I think this is just so they can sell the original RAZR...

Upvote 0
I paid $49 for a Gnex last week and traded it straight up for a Maxx a few days ago. The battery life is insane, and it's almost criminal that all manufacturers don't make their batteries like this. I can never go back to a "regular" battery phone again. Pay the extra money (or find an inexpensive work around like I did), its worth it!

Reactions: iAstonish
Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. One of the many reasons why I'm on here is the great feedback from people like you. I think I'm just going to nut-up and pay the extra money up front and have piece of mind that when I go out on the weekends I don't have to shut my phone off at 10 just in case I get lost walking around at 2 or 3 trying to get back and have to call someone.

Upvote 0
The Razr battery is not removable by the ordinary noob... but most people with a little mechanical sense can do it. I have seen/read that it is possible to take a Razr, remove the backplate and battery, and replace it with the 3500 mAh battery and Maxx backplate. Hope your brains don't explode trying to comprehend.

You can do that.
It will cost you $150, and will void your warranty.

But you can do it.

Reactions: iAstonish
Upvote 0
Is anyone familiar with Amazon Wireless? I think I'm going to go on there and order it because it's only $229.99 instead of $249.99. I want t keep my existing data plan which has that option but it came up to text messages and had pay as you go or 1,000? I'm on unlimited right now with my current plan. How do I go about doing this? Do I just keep my current data plan and text messages is included? I was a little confused when it asks me about text messages.

Upvote 0
I agree with all the others here, the peace of mind knowing you can use the phone fully at all times without needing an optimized Juice Defender or other power reduction apps to reduce power consumption cannot be overemphasized. It is ridiculous that all phones are not made with this kind of battery power, or more specifically that any top of the line phone can be sold without this battery life now that it exists. I would argue that the Maxx is the only top of the line phone now until another phone comes out with something on the order of magnitude of its battery capacity on 4g...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones