• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Nexus 5 now problem-free?

Me again!

Apparently, some people have had a problem with the Nexus 5 screen cracking. All the reports I've read seem to be from users who have either dropped their Nexus 5 or had it in a pocket.

If any phone is dropped, depending from what height and onto what surface, there will obviously be a possibility of a damaged screen. And keeping a phone in a pair of jeans, be it front or back pocket, can subject the screen to large forces.

Has anyone experienced a cracked screen on the Nexus 5?

JPC

I have a Spigen Slim Armour case and have always had a decent screen protector on my N5. I live in Michigan and this past winter we had record breaking amounts of snow fall and ice storms in over a 100 yrs.... One day I was walking to the end of my driveway to check my mail and was on my phone at the time and I just so happend to step right on a huge patch of ice and both my feet went flying straigh up in the air and I landed flat on my back...lol, and my phone went flying right out of my hand and straight up into the air well above my head and I'm 6'1" tall and my N5 came crashing down right on my freshly plowed and salted concrete paved driveway... I was like awe sh@!. I picked it up and took a look at it and it only had a slight scratch on the top left corner of my case. I took the case off and thoroughly examined my N5... There was no damage to it at all whats so ever... I was like thank goodenes and everything on the device works and fuctions like normal.
So to answer your question, yes the N5 is very durable and I also carry my N5 in my back pants pocket almost everyday as well and I have absolutely no wear or scractes on my screen either. I'm not saying that it's impossible but it is well built and durable.
On the bright side of it thought, if you do by some chance or by some reason manage to damage or break the screen and it's not covered under warrent... It is actually pretty cheap and one of the easiest screens to replace and plus there are some really detailed tear down manuals and step by step video's on replacing the screen. Although I highly doubt that this would be the case unless you are just generall hard on your phones and if that's the case too then it by any means any phone would be susceptible to screen damage.
I have heard that the 3rd gen gorilla glass is possibility slightly more brittle compared to previous versions but almost all new devices will have the 3rd gen gorilla glass too.

Upvote 0
I actually just had to get two new ones RMA'd. The first one I had had a nice bow of light bleed on the bottom of the screen. It looked like an arc of light bleed, and was VERY noticeable. The next one I got had the rattle when vibrating. So they have replaced that one as well. Hopefully the next one will be good - should be getting it today. This phone is so awesome, I just wish QC was a little better. Still wouldn't scare me off of buying it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones