• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is the SGS capable of barcode scanning? + flashlight

Kalle99

Feb 22, 2011
Aware that not all Android apps work on all Android phones, I have the following questions:

1. Is the SGS capable of scanning barcodes? If so, does it use the camera?

2. Is the SGS compatible with any of the numerous flashlight apps I see posted? Does the screen provide the light, or is it through the camera lens?

All replies are most appreciated

1. Is the SGS capable of scanning barcodes? If so, does it use the camera?

Evry barcode scanner uses the camera (how else is it gonna see the barcode)

2. Is the SGS compatible with any of the numerous flashlight apps I see posted? Does the screen provide the light, or is it through the camera lens?

The galaxy s has no flash it's 2 bad because the camera qualaty is awsome and what do you mean with does the screen provide the light

Upvote 0
There are several android apps that will use the screen to enable you to use the galaxy S as a flashlight. Basically it will just give you a bright white screen that chucks out a lot of light. Many will allow you to vary the brightness and even the colour. I use one and it is quite adequate for finding my way round in a darkened bedroom etc.

Upvote 0
yups the flashlight is using the screen. you have with in different colours and even different paterns like a police blue/red flashing or a dizzymaking black/white bullseye etc.

i have the barcodescanner and yes it uses your camera but no it doesn't work at my phone. i think it's because the code is to close to the camera so it can't be focussed correctly.
anyone has an solution for that?

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your replies. My questions may be naive as before getting my SGS, I had never seen. much less used, a Droid phone.

I thought that maybe some phone models had a separate lens of short focal length specifically for barcode scanning. This would address the focus issues I see commented on in the blogs. Also, knowing that some digital cameras have a light source used for fousing, I thought it possible that this might be a light used for the flashlight.

Anyway, thanks again for thre replies. I feel smarter now!

Upvote 0
OK! This launches the next set of questions:

What is/are the best barcode scanner apps around for the basic scanning function, and then...
more of a coimputer question, what kinds of pc databaes woiuld typically interface with this. I realize that this is ore of a pc/database question, so if it's inappropriate to post it here, just let me know (gebtly p[lease) and I'll retreat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones