• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is their a recommended Screen protector?

Nick-Bit

Mar 26, 2011
Hey guys, well I screwed the pooch big time and fussed with my AT&T brand screen protector to the point where I got frustrated, ripped it off, crumpled it up and threw it away. Then realizing how stupid I was I tried putting on the second one that came in the two pack and really screwed up putting it on. Bubbles everywhere. Now I need to go out and buy a new one and pay either Best Buy or Radio Shack to put it on for me because I aint bother with that crap anymore. What is a recommended screen protector sold in those stores? Is Invisble Sheild good?

I personally really like Invisible Shield but your mileage may vary. A lot of people don't like the fact that it has an "orange peel" effect and is somewhat rubbery/grippy. I personally like that but it's not for everyone. AFAIK that is the only brand of good screen protectors that Best Buy carries. Installing these kind by yourself is much easier than static ones like you'd get from AT&T, because they are a wet apply skin. You spray your fingers with the solution, then spray the back of the shield, apply it to your screen, and squeegee the bubbles and extra solution out. If you mess it up, you can peel it off and start again (within about 5 minutes or so you can still peel it off without damaging the protector). If you go the route of installing it yourself another great brand is Phantom Skinz. A lot of people like Steinheil as well as it has a more smooth glassy texture than the invisible shield. What I like better about doing it myself is that one, you don't have to pay for installation, and two, you can find great coupon codes to order online and get them way cheaper.

Steinheil - SGP Store - Stylish people's Good Partner
Invisible Shield - ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | iPhone, iPod Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield
Phantom Skinz - Phantom Skinz | iPhone, iPod, cell phone skins, screen protectors, cases, covers, shileds, full body protection

Reactions: JayRu
Upvote 0
Stay away from the verizon protector products for the Bionic. They do not cover the screen completely, and the company does not refund even when they sell you a product specifically not recommended (on their website) for your phone. I was told it was a "marketing tool" and that the products were identical. Identically not covering the screen! If there is not a picture or drawing that is identical to the shape of your phone, do not buy. The verizon products misrepresents. I hear zag is OK, and actually covers the entire screen. Now to find a sale....

Upvote 0
I have the Zagg one on my Flyer since that is what Best Buy has, and they installed it for me. I would also like to suggest Brando is you are willing to wait for shipping from Hong Kong. They are on all of my old Palm PDA's and they are amazing. They are clear and smooth and don't scratch easy! (NOTE: I am not affiliated with Brando, just a happy customer.)

Shipping is also 3 dollars no matter how much you order, but if you order anything else, the screen protectors will be shipped separately.

Upvote 0
bodyguardz is a good brand

id recommend looking on ebay though for that brand as you might be able to find it for a lower cost

havent used anything but this brand, but ive had the same protector on my phone for over 2 yrs now, have had no issues, no discoloration, no peeling, no scuffs or scratches, no hazing, have had a couple accidental drops, phone from about waist height hitting pavement and still not a mark on the protective skin or phone.

Upvote 0
I love Invisible Shield. NO BUBBLES, as long as you follow the directions. The amount of time and frustration this saves for us Type A personalities is well worth the added cost over cheap protectors. It looks textured when held at an angle, but is "invisible" when viewing the phone head-on. As mentioned above, it does have a different texture, but that's forgotten quickly, and I see it as a plus (same as my silicon gel case, which prevents drops and slips that other cases won't).

Upvote 0
I've tried Zagg, PhantomSkinz, and SGP. And now I'll only get SGP.

Zagg Invisishields are expensive and have the textured look and feel of them. They do not feel like the bare glass. They also get worse over time. Their only saving grace is that they do not scratch, unlike the ultra cheap ones. And they are pretty clear when looked at head on. Any sort of glare, though, and forget it. And BestBuy will install them for you.

PhantomSkins are slightly better than Zagg, and about half the price, you generally get 2 for the price, and they often come with camera lens protectors. Ships pretty quickly. Has less of a textured look and feels a little smoother. But still doesn't feel like bare glass.

SGP: Feels like bare glass. Gives you 2 protectors. Ships quickly. Has very, very little texture glare. You completely forget you even have the thing on. Crystal clear. Easily the best screen protector I've ever used. There may be better, but that bar is set pretty high.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones