• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a video chat app worth a damn

Bperry

Sep 9, 2010
I was really excited about getting the s3 because I gave my wife my old s2. I thought we were going to be able to have seamless video chat dare I say (like facetime) with Google Talk, but it sucks. It is just plain unusable.

I also tried Skype and it seems very rough too. I just want a reliable decent video chat so I can talk to the kids. Are there settings or better apps out there? Why isn't gtalk video working like it should is there a way to troubleshoot it?

Tia

I was really excited about getting the s3 because I gave my wife my old s2. I thought we were going to be able to have seamless video chat dare I say (like facetime) with Google Talk, but it sucks. It is just plain unusable.

I also tried Skype and it seems very rough too. I just want a reliable decent video chat so I can talk to the kids. Are there settings or better apps out there? Why isn't gtalk video working like it should is there a way to troubleshoot it?

Tia

What's that other one they have floating around? Fring? I've never had a front facing camera before until now, so I've never used any of them before. Never hurts to try it out though.

Upvote 0
David I wish my experience was just that. I am using Wi-Fi with great connection speed and the video is choppy at best, then it just freezes.
Are you perhaps testing this with both devices connected to the same wifi network? If so, the combined load from both devices' 2x video streaming may be exceeding your local network bandwidth... particularly if there are other connected devices or if the wireless router is also shared with a wired network connection. Though it seems counterintuitive, in a case like this, you may actually get better results if one of the devices was connected to the public network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones