• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video Chat via Google Talk

simon4of4

Lurker
Dec 27, 2011
I've been running my GNex for about a week and love it. As this is my first smartphone there are a few things I'm still learning as I go.

One of the things I've been most interested in is switching to Google Talk for most of my SMS needs. So far encouraging other friends to switch has been easy.

The one problem I'm running into is using voice or video chat through GTalk. I've read that for ICS I need to click on my contact and then a mic or camera icon will be available at the top of the screen but none of my contacts have either of these icons.

My wife is using a Droid Incredible 2 and she doesn't have the icon for my contact either. We've tested video chatting with Skype and it works but I would prefer to use GTalk.

Anyone know why I don't have these icons? What am I missing?

I've done some searching on the net and seen others report this problem but so far no solutions were posted. Or at least none that worked for me as I don't want to switch to Google+ unless I really have to. :)

When you view the contacts in the contact list, do they have a mic or a video camera to the right of their name? This may indicate that they have the capability on their device. In the case where the icon exists, you can click it (video camera for example), and it will start a video chat. If you click the name, it will open a chat window.

For people who have video or chat capabilities, if you click on them so their chat opens, there will be the video camera and the mic between their name and the menu button (on the top).

Did the DInc2 have video chat capabilities? IIRC, there were only certain versions of Gingerbread (or Gtalk for that matter) that had video or voice chat integrated.

Do you have a laptop with a webcam? Perhaps your wife can log in to her Gmail account on the computer, and you can see if you can video chat with her on the computer?

Upvote 0
When you view the contacts in the contact list, do they have a mic or a video camera to the right of their name?

No. Even when a buddy of mine (using a T-Bolt) has a video and mic icon for me, I don't have one for him.

For people who have video or chat capabilities, if you click on them so their chat opens, there will be the video camera and the mic between their name and the menu button (on the top).

Again, no go here.

Did the DInc2 have video chat capabilities? IIRC, there were only certain versions of Gingerbread (or Gtalk for that matter) that had video or voice chat integrated.

I'm not sure. This is the first time I have tried to use the abilities. Again, I tried Skype and it worked so I figured that it was capable. I didn't realize only certain versions of GB had it integrated. I thought it was all GB.

Do you have a laptop with a webcam? Perhaps your wife can log in to her Gmail account on the computer, and you can see if you can video chat with her on the computer?

I will test this and post the results.

Okay, I tested with a laptop standing in for the DInc2 and it worked. I guess I'm going to have to research more into which version of GB supports this. I could swear that I read it was part of the build. Hmmm....

Upvote 0
No. Even when a buddy of mine (using a T-Bolt) has a video and mic icon for me, I don't have one for him.

Again, no go here.

I'm not sure. This is the first time I have tried to use the abilities. Again, I tried Skype and it worked so I figured that it was capable. I didn't realize only certain versions of GB had it integrated. I thought it was all GB.

I will test this and post the results.

Okay, I tested with a laptop standing in for the DInc2 and it worked. I guess I'm going to have to research more into which version of GB supports this. I could swear that I read it was part of the build. Hmmm....

It is 2.3.4+ that allows for video chat over Gtalk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones