• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is this for real? ICS for Spectrum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death got it to boot!!

Picture courtesy of Death2all110

xdqKb.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm curious as to how many things aren't working on it. LG has been known to completely botch work on ROMs and start over if they struggle with getting things to work. Was really hoping for the GSM radio, going overseas for my honeymoon in July! Share your thoughts Death if you have time on the main things like bluetooth functionality, version of AVRCP, GSM radio functionality, signal, stability, MMS support, yadda-yadda. Would be interesting to know how well the LG devs have stepped up their game...

Upvote 0
Because the method is so hard to do, I don't think anyone is formally announcing it. If we had a nandroid or a .cab file, this would be much easier for the masses to do and more people would be talking about it.

+1...what would it take to get a nandroid or a .cab file?

Its still REALLY BIG news though! Even though my wife has no idea what Im talking about I'm so excited I had to tell her anyway! :D:D:D

Upvote 0
+1...what would it take to get a nandroid or a .cab file?

Its still REALLY BIG news though! Even though my wife has no idea what Im talking about I'm so excited I had to tell her anyway! :D:D:D
We have a link to the .cab file, but it's forbidden from download based on either http protocol or something in the user agent we're sending. Someone would need to get around this to get the file.

Reactions: ups2525
Upvote 0
it's working. Lots of people are using it now. Has some bugs and isn't really ready to be released in mass. I'm not using it myself but have been speaking with people who are and this is what they are saying.

To anyone that has working ICS, could you put together a 'How To'? I'm still unsure how to get this to work. There is like 4 different files to download and a specific program... I'm confused.

Upvote 0
To anyone that has working ICS, could you put together a 'How To'? I'm still unsure how to get this to work. There is like 4 different files to download and a specific program... I'm confused.

The problem is, in the end it is still extremely buggy. Once updated you have to go through the whole process again to get back.

Upvote 0
So is this a test server? I'm starting to lose faith in this lg phone, since they can't seem to get their shit together. All the releases for this phone are flawed.

What "release" has been flawed? There is always going to be problems. Zv6 was an excellent update with minimal problems and probably none for the average user. This is not a release, it is a leak of a build. What LG thought of it, I don't know. What they were focusing on, I don't know, but I do know it's not the finished project a it is not being pushed to our phones by an ota. Just the same as zv5 was never released.

Upvote 0
Well, v5 with Bluetooth for starters. But all of their roms are over-bloated and don't jive with apps and widgets to work as efficiently as other phones. Frankly, I shouldn't have as many problems with reboots and freezing on stock as I do and THAT is really the issue here.

Some say "Oh, I don't have reboots", which is fine... but I'm on my 3rd Spectrum and all have had random reboots and freezing when doing simple things, like choosing a favorite link in the browser to load a page. I'd like to think I've had 3 crap phones or I'm doing something wrong, but that's far too coincidental to be true, since I'm not new to Android phones and have tested use various ways.

It seems like this is a leak of ICS for our phone and that's cool, but that means people need to deconstruct the shit out of it to get it to work right. It seems far more logical to build a 4.0.4 AOSP and use the device files from this new LG build to create a solid device repo, complete with HALs, rather than trying to get the LG version to work in a modded rom.

Upvote 0
V5 wasn't actually released though was it? I thought I remember all of us just pulling it off their server? Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think it was ever an actual update. V6 stock, I was using that and it worked great, yea, not super, and certainly not to the Spectrum's hardware, but big improvement over V4 as far as stability and I never had a problem.
<RANT>
LG's never had a good track record in the mobile market, but it's not like every mobile company hasn't made shitty phones. The fact they have an ICS ROM on their test server shows me they are thus far staying true to their word of deployment date. The only times I've had reboots on my spectrum have been on BO and Eclipse, not stock, and it certainly wasn't a common occasion even on those. (I attribute it to the overclocking and environment heat.) Mt's latest BO3 ROM is beautiful keeping whatever he set for base, no mods. I can't wait for ICS for the better BT stack and updated AVRCP, but I'll take this xperia theme... One of the reasons I couldn't use the BO2 ROM was the no bluetooth in V5... :(
</RANT>

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones