• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is WiFi Without SIM Possible?

Bullitt_McQueen

May 5, 2010
Just recieved my X10 (hooray!) and, because Vodafone have clearly not ported anybody over to their network before (or so it seems by the level of incompetence!), I didn't received a temp. number and my SIM is not active.

So, does anyone know if you can access the internet via WiFi through via your home wireless without the SIM? I know you can do this on the, ahem, iPhone...

without trying it i dont know

all i know is all the phones i have had in the past - when you start it up without ANY sim card in it the phone does nothing except display "insert sim" on the screen.

Cant views menus, options etc

Yup that's exactly what happens with the x10. my blackberry could still be used without a sim but the x10 just says insert sim

Upvote 0
Yeah I remember using mine with no sim in as well, or at least, the non active one. I also ported to Vodafone, so yeah they have ported people before....they're just not very good at it. Initially I was told up to 7 days, on the 4th day I rang to complain :p and say I didnt have a temp number and no credit on me payg sim so i couldnt test the phone to its full capabilities. She repeated the same, so I suggested if it'd be done by Friday, she said yup....needless to say, Friday came and was told 7-10 days :| and that it was 6 days and 20 hours since I'd requested the port, so I left it till Monday, the 10 days, not 9 days and 20 hours, to be told they went home at 5....needless to say, the port hadnt gone through so it had to be done manually and i had to wait another day or two :|.

Waffling :eek:, only good thing is, my contract didnt start till the sim was active but, its damn annoying that they dont provide a temp number, other networks ive been with have. But yes, the phone did work with no sim/inactive sim, apart from being able to call/text/3g data ;) lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones