• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help issues after upgrade galaxy s2, how to reverse please help

makiori

Lurker
Jul 10, 2012
having update the software to ICS, my phone is a mess.
three main annoying issues :

1) my contacts have disappeared from the top of my screen on phone mode, and now I only have logs, favourites and keypad.
this requires to either go to menu and select contacts or use the contacts icon from the main screen to make a call

2)my phone use to have a clock that would allow me to set an alarm by taping on the icon, that clock is now gone ( I believe that it was an Orange widget)

3) my application now scroll left to right instead of top to bottom

any good suggestions?

Also I have read that is possible to reverse the upgrade by running a factory reset. However it has been suggested to back up all the data before such action.
Could anyone be so kind and explain how to do a back up and reset.
many thanks in advance for your time

1) Mine is a little different. There is no more scrolling for ICS, but what I get at the top when pressing the Phone Icon on the home screen is Keypad, Logs, Favorites and Contacts. Tap on Contacts to go to the contacts, and can go back by pressing back capacitive key.

Tap on the contacts icon in homescreen will give you Groups, Contacts and Favorites.

2) If its orange widgets, then I can't help you. But for me, its rather a small issue. You could always set up a short cut to the clock application, use another widget or get an app or widget from the google store to your liking.

3) As far as I know, app drawer scrolls left to right for TouchWiz. Its only some other launchers that does top to bottom. Or do you mean the widget list or something like that? You could try other launchers that you can customize to your liking. Am using GoLauncher. Tried Apex, ADW, LauncherPro... but still going back to GoLauncher.

4) Reversing to GB is a lot more complicated than just a factory reset. Factory reset on its own will not revert it to GB. It will however resolve a lot of problems that you might find like reboots, network problem etc.
You can back up contacts with Google or Kies. You can download app backup software that creates APK files of your apps so that you won't have to download again. You can also backup progress of your angry birds with an app. There are lots of apps on google play that can do the backups like MyBackupPro. And, you can just copy out all the folders and files that you want from the phone to the PC.

As for going back to GB, you either bring the phone to Samsung and see if they are willing to flash it back for you. Or you have to flash it yourself via Odin. You of course MUST factory reset before doing this since you are likely to have all sort of firmware clashes if you do without that.

Cheers

Reactions: makiori
Upvote 0
1) Mine is a little different. There is no more scrolling for ICS, but what I get at the top when pressing the Phone Icon on the home screen is Keypad, Logs, Favorites and Contacts. Tap on Contacts to go to the contacts, and can go back by pressing back capacitive key.

Cheers

S2 with 02 ICS 4.0.3

Same as the OP I only have Keypad, Logs and Favourites. How did you get the additional "Contacts" icon?

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that this is a feature of Russell's stock ICS firmware, I9100DXPLB, for Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, as it is not featured on any of the numerous European stock, unbranded, ICS firmwares that I have tried.

When talking about ICS firmware we must not think that all ICS releases are the same for everyone. There have been around a dozen versions of ICS, unbranded, stock, firmware since LPQ was launched in March, as improvements have been made, and countless carrier branded versions worldwide.

If this is a deal breaker for you, you could flash Russell's, I9100DXPLB, version to your phone using Odin. This would, however, void your warranty.

Reactions: athegn
Upvote 0
Dunno....

Are you on LP9?
I took awhile to upgrade to ICS as I wanted to be sure about what needs to be done to ensure it goes as smoothly as possible and to know how to get it back to the way I want to.

After the first update, another OTA update was received. That might have been when it became PLB. So no real chance to test either one.

But as long as it works properly... its fine.
Except for that damn email.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones