• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iTunes on Android

Soundteq

May 1, 2012
I've used iTunes for years now because I've had ipods and it has become my preferred music player. I know there are many apps available to android that can do what iTunes can and more, but none seem to have the same UI and that's really all I want, I don't care about extra features.

I've searched and there hasn't been any mention of people getting iTunes to their android phones. Why is that?

I understand Apple wouldn't do it, but it seems like somebody could port it themselves. You probably couldn't do things like access the store and it would be illegal, but it could be done, right? Would that be an incredibly hard task? I'm not asking because I would do it myself, I'm just asking because like I said it seems like nobody has done it. I would think that with how popular iTunes is that it would've happened, so why hasn't it?

Are you asking about iTunes the desktop client? If so, you might want to check out doubletwist's desktop client. However if you are talking about a music player app that emulates the iPod then there's one in the market called pod player +. It looks like it's a brand new app. I don't know how well it works but it looks like it mimics the iPod classic UI and the actual device itself including the click wheel.

Upvote 0
I'm just asking about the desktop client. The iTunes program you load up on PC to play your music with and such. I've heard about Doubletwist and looked at a few screenshots but it looked nothing like iTunes. Maybe I just saw a picture of somebody using a custom layout or something?

Upvote 0
I tried out Double Twist to see if I was confused but it seems I wasn't, it doesn't look anything like iTunes. It does on the PC, but I want an iTunes clone for the android (since it seems there is no way to get the real iTunes on android).

I don't really care how it syncs with my PC or anything, I don't mind to manually manage it however I need to. I was just wanting something that LOOKED like iTunes for my phone. Sorry if my earlier posts were poorly worded

Upvote 0
Double Twist on paper looks good but takes an obscene amount of time to sync anything, so uninstalled.

I've tried moto media link (there's probably a similar app made by your phone manufacturer) that syncs playlists from itunes, it worked to a fashion except it decided tracks from compilations should be albums of their own right (duplicates, in other words).

I think the problem is at the receiving end (android) & the way it scans media. It can handle basic drag & drop but if you've edited any compilation in itunes (say, made a 2 CD into one folder / album) then this will confuse android & it will still think the 2 CD's are separate so the tracks will be like this: 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, etc...

So basically if you want something that looks a little bit like itunes then try another music player (power amp?) but they'll just be front ends for android media storage.

At the moment I think it's best just to leave things as intended, drag & drop whole albums as they are, & if that means having [Disc 1] & [Disc 2] of two disc comps then so be it. Android is not itunes :(.

Upvote 0
You don't want iTunes on your computer... you want it on your Android phone? That's not going to happen. iTunes is a desktop client. Not even iPhone users get iTunes on their phones.
Right, I want it on my phone.

Woah, really? I did not know that :eek: I thought that iPhones (I've never owned one) had a mobile version. Hm, that's interesting though. Thanks for pointing that out.

BUT whatever it is that iPhones have looks almost identical to iTunes, and that's what I'm looking for. It doesn't have to be the actual iTunes program, just something that's a ripoff haha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones